Monday's scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
• Francisco Liriano is 4-1 with a 2.25 ERA in his career against the Cardinals. While Liriano struggled in his last start, and he is 0-1 against the Cardinals in two starts this season, he has been much better in the second half as he has been healthy for the first time this season. Liriano's fastball touched 96 mph against the Braves in his last start, his top velocity for the season. Liriano hasn't faced the Cardinals since May.
• The Cardinals acquired John Lackey prior to the trade deadline and he is mostly an unknown to the Pirates as he has spent nearly his entire career in the American League. Russell Martin is the only Pirates' regular to have faced Lackey.
Martin was in the starting lineup Sunday, which is typically an off day for him. With another Thursday off-day, Hurdle said he will again plan to give Martin a day off Wednesday to couple it with the off day Thursday. “It gives him a nice time of recovery. ... We'll be stretching him out to some degree,” Hurdle said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Tigers 3
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 18, Phillies 4
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base