Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
Edinson Volquez has a career 5.09 ERA at Miller Park in eight starts at the hitter-friendly venue. The good news is that the strikeout has returned to Volquez's game in August, after his strikeout rate was well below his career average for the first four months of the season. Volquez is averaging just under eight strikeouts per nine innings in August, and keeping the ball out of play is critical against a potent Brewers lineup.
• Look to see if Travis Snider earns another start over Gregory Polanco. The Pirates have only 55 combined at-bats against hard-throwing Brewers starter Wily Peralta, but Snider has two hits in six at-bats against Peralta. Peralta's fastball averages 95.4 mph, which is fourth best among starters according to PITCHf/x data.
The time for finding bargains out of Cuba might be ending as the Red Sox on Friday signed Cuban defector Rusney Castillo for a reported $72 million over six years. The Pirates are unlikely to bid for any Cuban stars at those prices.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Burnett’s evolution from thrower to pitcher helps him stay on top of his game
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat
- Pirates notebook: Ailing Mercer sore but on mend
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 18, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, April 21, 2015
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: GM sticking to plan with Kang
- Tigers pitcher Greene outduels Burnett as Pirates lose tight game