Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
Edinson Volquez has a career 5.09 ERA at Miller Park in eight starts at the hitter-friendly venue. The good news is that the strikeout has returned to Volquez's game in August, after his strikeout rate was well below his career average for the first four months of the season. Volquez is averaging just under eight strikeouts per nine innings in August, and keeping the ball out of play is critical against a potent Brewers lineup.
• Look to see if Travis Snider earns another start over Gregory Polanco. The Pirates have only 55 combined at-bats against hard-throwing Brewers starter Wily Peralta, but Snider has two hits in six at-bats against Peralta. Peralta's fastball averages 95.4 mph, which is fourth best among starters according to PITCHf/x data.
The time for finding bargains out of Cuba might be ending as the Red Sox on Friday signed Cuban defector Rusney Castillo for a reported $72 million over six years. The Pirates are unlikely to bid for any Cuban stars at those prices.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates tender deals to 11 players, cut ties with Sanchez
- Pirates re-sign Liriano to 3-year, $39M contract