Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
Edinson Volquez has a career 5.09 ERA at Miller Park in eight starts at the hitter-friendly venue. The good news is that the strikeout has returned to Volquez's game in August, after his strikeout rate was well below his career average for the first four months of the season. Volquez is averaging just under eight strikeouts per nine innings in August, and keeping the ball out of play is critical against a potent Brewers lineup.
• Look to see if Travis Snider earns another start over Gregory Polanco. The Pirates have only 55 combined at-bats against hard-throwing Brewers starter Wily Peralta, but Snider has two hits in six at-bats against Peralta. Peralta's fastball averages 95.4 mph, which is fourth best among starters according to PITCHf/x data.
The time for finding bargains out of Cuba might be ending as the Red Sox on Friday signed Cuban defector Rusney Castillo for a reported $72 million over six years. The Pirates are unlikely to bid for any Cuban stars at those prices.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates’ Alvarez eager to prove he can play first, regain power stroke
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates