Wednesday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
•.Welcome back, Gerrit Cole. The right-hander will be activated off the DL before the game and make his 15th start of the season. Cole has been out since July 9 due to a sore right lat. This will be his first career outing against the Braves. He is 3-1 with a 3.56 ERA in seven starts at PNC Park this season.
• There was something a little unusual about Craig Kimbrel's 36th save of the season Saturday: the Braves closer allowed one walk but did not record a strikeout. In 264 career appearances of at least one innings. Kimbrel has failed to get at least one strikeout only 33 times. It also was just the 11th time he yielded a walk but did not get a strikeout.
The Pirates must make a corresponding roster move when Cole is activated. They are carrying six men on the bench, so one of them — most likely infielder Brent Morel — will be sent to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Pirates pitchers have margin for error, in mphs, and they need it
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Fans of Pirates embrace PNC Park home opener, hope for great season
- Thrill of home opener at PNC Park rocks Pittsburgh
- Pirates’ Melancon isn’t worried about drop in velocity