Wednesday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
•.Welcome back, Gerrit Cole. The right-hander will be activated off the DL before the game and make his 15th start of the season. Cole has been out since July 9 due to a sore right lat. This will be his first career outing against the Braves. He is 3-1 with a 3.56 ERA in seven starts at PNC Park this season.
• There was something a little unusual about Craig Kimbrel's 36th save of the season Saturday: the Braves closer allowed one walk but did not record a strikeout. In 264 career appearances of at least one innings. Kimbrel has failed to get at least one strikeout only 33 times. It also was just the 11th time he yielded a walk but did not get a strikeout.
The Pirates must make a corresponding roster move when Cole is activated. They are carrying six men on the bench, so one of them — most likely infielder Brent Morel — will be sent to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- Alvarez’s walk-off single lifts Pirates over Padres
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- Torn thumb ligament puts Pirates’ Harrison on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates vs San Diego Padres, July 7, 2015
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback