Wednesday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
•.Welcome back, Gerrit Cole. The right-hander will be activated off the DL before the game and make his 15th start of the season. Cole has been out since July 9 due to a sore right lat. This will be his first career outing against the Braves. He is 3-1 with a 3.56 ERA in seven starts at PNC Park this season.
• There was something a little unusual about Craig Kimbrel's 36th save of the season Saturday: the Braves closer allowed one walk but did not record a strikeout. In 264 career appearances of at least one innings. Kimbrel has failed to get at least one strikeout only 33 times. It also was just the 11th time he yielded a walk but did not get a strikeout.
The Pirates must make a corresponding roster move when Cole is activated. They are carrying six men on the bench, so one of them — most likely infielder Brent Morel — will be sent to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Playoff tiebreakers create havoc for Bucs
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale