Wednesday's scouting report: Braves at Pirates
•.Welcome back, Gerrit Cole. The right-hander will be activated off the DL before the game and make his 15th start of the season. Cole has been out since July 9 due to a sore right lat. This will be his first career outing against the Braves. He is 3-1 with a 3.56 ERA in seven starts at PNC Park this season.
• There was something a little unusual about Craig Kimbrel's 36th save of the season Saturday: the Braves closer allowed one walk but did not record a strikeout. In 264 career appearances of at least one innings. Kimbrel has failed to get at least one strikeout only 33 times. It also was just the 11th time he yielded a walk but did not get a strikeout.
The Pirates must make a corresponding roster move when Cole is activated. They are carrying six men on the bench, so one of them — most likely infielder Brent Morel — will be sent to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start
- Spring training breakdown: Braves 7, Pirates 5
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Forbes: Pirates worth $900 million
- Pirates notebook: RV is home to pitcher Lincoln for spring training
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s struggles continue during rough outing versus Astros
- Baseball awaits chance to fully delve into Cuba’s talent pool
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 2, Red Sox 2
- Spring training breakdown: Astros 14, Pirates 2