Tuesday's scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
• SS Jhonny Peralta has been the Cardinals' hottest hitter, batting .350 over the 15 games leading up to this series. In 10 games versus the Pirates, Peralta has hit .371 with three homers. Peralta went into this series 12 shy of 1,500 career hits and one shy of 175 career homers. With 18 homers, he's set the Cardinals' single-season record by a shortstop. He leads the team with 51 extra-base hits this year.
• When he throws his first pitch Tuesday, Lance Lynn will make his team-high 27th start. It will be the third time he has faced the Pirates this year. He beat them July 9 at Busch Stadium and took a loss May 10 at PNC Park. Lynn is 5-1 this year vs. NL Central opponents. Lynn is 3-0 with a 1.75 ERA this month. In seven career games (five starts) at PNC Park, Lynn is 2-2 with a 5.17 ERA.
Police in Bristol, Va., arrested a man who allegedly broke into the short-season Single-A Bristol Pirates clubhouse and stole $10,000 worth of items, including team laptops, cameras and personal electronics.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy