Wednesday's scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
• Since the start of the 2007 season, Cardinals OF Matt Holliday has 222 late-inning RBIs (seventh inning or later). That's the third-highest tally in the majors in that span behind Miguel Cabrera (265) and Albert Pujols (227). Holliday has 133 game-winning RBIs in his career, which ranks fifth among active players. Holliday hit his 31st double of the season Monday, giving him five straight years of 30-plus doubles.
• Over the final 33 games last season, Pirates 1B/3B Pedro Alvarez batted .227 with five homers and 15 RBIs. Perhaps he is setting up for a stronger final push this year. The Pirates reached the 33-games-to-go mark Saturday, when Alvarez bashed a pair of homers. Over the past three games, Alvarez has gone 4 for 9 with three home runs and five RBIs.
The Pirates will use a special set of bases for three innings during Wednesday's game vs. the Cardinals. The “Traveling Bases” are making their way around the major leagues for use in one game at every ballpark. The bases will be auctioned after the World Series.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Pirates pitchers have margin for error, in mphs, and they need it
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Batters creating a breeze with high strikeout rate
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Tigers, April 14, 2015
- Pirates’ Melancon isn’t worried about drop in velocity