Wednesday's scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
• Since the start of the 2007 season, Cardinals OF Matt Holliday has 222 late-inning RBIs (seventh inning or later). That's the third-highest tally in the majors in that span behind Miguel Cabrera (265) and Albert Pujols (227). Holliday has 133 game-winning RBIs in his career, which ranks fifth among active players. Holliday hit his 31st double of the season Monday, giving him five straight years of 30-plus doubles.
• Over the final 33 games last season, Pirates 1B/3B Pedro Alvarez batted .227 with five homers and 15 RBIs. Perhaps he is setting up for a stronger final push this year. The Pirates reached the 33-games-to-go mark Saturday, when Alvarez bashed a pair of homers. Over the past three games, Alvarez has gone 4 for 9 with three home runs and five RBIs.
The Pirates will use a special set of bases for three innings during Wednesday's game vs. the Cardinals. The “Traveling Bases” are making their way around the major leagues for use in one game at every ballpark. The bases will be auctioned after the World Series.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 28, 2015
- Nationals pound Burnett, Pirates
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- Starting 9: Pirates help and the illusion of help
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli cherishes All-Star gift from teammate Burnett
- Pirates notebook: Ramirez thrown into spotlight upon joining Pirates