Wednesday's scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
• Since the start of the 2007 season, Cardinals OF Matt Holliday has 222 late-inning RBIs (seventh inning or later). That's the third-highest tally in the majors in that span behind Miguel Cabrera (265) and Albert Pujols (227). Holliday has 133 game-winning RBIs in his career, which ranks fifth among active players. Holliday hit his 31st double of the season Monday, giving him five straight years of 30-plus doubles.
• Over the final 33 games last season, Pirates 1B/3B Pedro Alvarez batted .227 with five homers and 15 RBIs. Perhaps he is setting up for a stronger final push this year. The Pirates reached the 33-games-to-go mark Saturday, when Alvarez bashed a pair of homers. Over the past three games, Alvarez has gone 4 for 9 with three home runs and five RBIs.
The Pirates will use a special set of bases for three innings during Wednesday's game vs. the Cardinals. The “Traveling Bases” are making their way around the major leagues for use in one game at every ballpark. The bases will be auctioned after the World Series.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Behind starter Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 27, 2015
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Woman struck by foul ball in ‘horrid’ scene at Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory