Wednesday's scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
• Since the start of the 2007 season, Cardinals OF Matt Holliday has 222 late-inning RBIs (seventh inning or later). That's the third-highest tally in the majors in that span behind Miguel Cabrera (265) and Albert Pujols (227). Holliday has 133 game-winning RBIs in his career, which ranks fifth among active players. Holliday hit his 31st double of the season Monday, giving him five straight years of 30-plus doubles.
• Over the final 33 games last season, Pirates 1B/3B Pedro Alvarez batted .227 with five homers and 15 RBIs. Perhaps he is setting up for a stronger final push this year. The Pirates reached the 33-games-to-go mark Saturday, when Alvarez bashed a pair of homers. Over the past three games, Alvarez has gone 4 for 9 with three home runs and five RBIs.
The Pirates will use a special set of bases for three innings during Wednesday's game vs. the Cardinals. The “Traveling Bases” are making their way around the major leagues for use in one game at every ballpark. The bases will be auctioned after the World Series.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Ramirez thrown into spotlight upon joining Pirates
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring