Friday's scouting report: Reds at Pirates
Mike Leake has allowed at least three runs in all three of his starts against the Pirates this season. He has a 5.04 ERA against the Pirates this season. Leake is a command-and-control pitcher who does not have overwhelming raw stuff. Gaby Sanchez has a .364 career average against him, meaning he could be in line to start against the right-handed pitcher, but Ike Davis has homered in back-to-back games.
• Edinson Volquez has a better road ERA (3.48) than home mark (3.63) this season. Volquez is coming off a fortunate start in Milwaukee when he allowed 11 hits over five innings but just two runs. Volquez's velocity has been increasing, and his fastball has averaged 95 mph over his last two starts. Perhaps the velocity spike will help Volquez produce more strikeouts, which he has lacked this season.
It's important the Pirates take advantage of their remaining home games. In September the Pirates play only nine games at PNC Park and 17 games on the road.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Pirates reliever Liz new, improved
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Gameday: Pirates at Cardinals, September 5, 2015
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Pirates notebook: Delivery adjustment helps left-hander Happ
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates