Friday's scouting report: Reds at Pirates
Mike Leake has allowed at least three runs in all three of his starts against the Pirates this season. He has a 5.04 ERA against the Pirates this season. Leake is a command-and-control pitcher who does not have overwhelming raw stuff. Gaby Sanchez has a .364 career average against him, meaning he could be in line to start against the right-handed pitcher, but Ike Davis has homered in back-to-back games.
• Edinson Volquez has a better road ERA (3.48) than home mark (3.63) this season. Volquez is coming off a fortunate start in Milwaukee when he allowed 11 hits over five innings but just two runs. Volquez's velocity has been increasing, and his fastball has averaged 95 mph over his last two starts. Perhaps the velocity spike will help Volquez produce more strikeouts, which he has lacked this season.
It's important the Pirates take advantage of their remaining home games. In September the Pirates play only nine games at PNC Park and 17 games on the road.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Pirates protect top prospects in advance of Rule 5 draft
- Pirates sign independent league pitcher
- Pirates, Orioles had trade talks involving 2B Walker
- Rossi: Baseball should retire Roberto Clemente’s No. 21
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen wins 4th consecutive Silver Slugger Award
- Pirates season opener moved to April 3