Friday's scouting report: Reds at Pirates
Mike Leake has allowed at least three runs in all three of his starts against the Pirates this season. He has a 5.04 ERA against the Pirates this season. Leake is a command-and-control pitcher who does not have overwhelming raw stuff. Gaby Sanchez has a .364 career average against him, meaning he could be in line to start against the right-handed pitcher, but Ike Davis has homered in back-to-back games.
• Edinson Volquez has a better road ERA (3.48) than home mark (3.63) this season. Volquez is coming off a fortunate start in Milwaukee when he allowed 11 hits over five innings but just two runs. Volquez's velocity has been increasing, and his fastball has averaged 95 mph over his last two starts. Perhaps the velocity spike will help Volquez produce more strikeouts, which he has lacked this season.
It's important the Pirates take advantage of their remaining home games. In September the Pirates play only nine games at PNC Park and 17 games on the road.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates trade for utilityman Rodriguez, DFA Sanchez
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end