Sunday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
TV/radio: Root Sports/93.7 FM, 1480 AM, 1450 AM
Probable pitchers: Reds RHP Johnny Cueto (15-8, 2.26) vs. Pirates LHP Francisco Liriano (3-10, 3.98)
• Reds CF Billy Hamilton is making a strong case for NL Rookie of the Year. He leads NL rookies in RBIs, multi-hit games, runs, hits, total bases, doubles, triples, stolen bases and extra-base hits. He ranks second among all players in the league in steals. Hamilton was tabbed NL rookie of the month for June after batting .327, including 10 doubles and three homers, with 14 steals and 18 runs scored in 27 games.
• Since absorbing a 2-1 loss at PNC Park on May 30, 2012, Johnny Cueto has gone 5-0 with a 1.74 ERA in eight regular-season starts vs. the Pirates. Cueto has allowed more than two runs in just three of his 15 career starts on the North Shore. With his next strikeout, Cueto will become the first Reds pitcher since Edinson Volquez in 2008 to record 200 Ks in a season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle