Sunday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
TV/radio: Root Sports/93.7 FM, 1480 AM, 1450 AM
Probable pitchers: Reds RHP Johnny Cueto (15-8, 2.26) vs. Pirates LHP Francisco Liriano (3-10, 3.98)
• Reds CF Billy Hamilton is making a strong case for NL Rookie of the Year. He leads NL rookies in RBIs, multi-hit games, runs, hits, total bases, doubles, triples, stolen bases and extra-base hits. He ranks second among all players in the league in steals. Hamilton was tabbed NL rookie of the month for June after batting .327, including 10 doubles and three homers, with 14 steals and 18 runs scored in 27 games.
• Since absorbing a 2-1 loss at PNC Park on May 30, 2012, Johnny Cueto has gone 5-0 with a 1.74 ERA in eight regular-season starts vs. the Pirates. Cueto has allowed more than two runs in just three of his 15 career starts on the North Shore. With his next strikeout, Cueto will become the first Reds pitcher since Edinson Volquez in 2008 to record 200 Ks in a season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates showing interest in starting pitcher Masterson
- Boras: Alvarez’s power is too valuable for Pirates to let him leave
- Increasing player salaries pinch financial flexibility of Pirates
- Baseball America names Pirates as organization of the year
- Pirates sign independent league pitcher
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays