Sunday's scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
TV/radio: Root Sports/93.7 FM, 1480 AM, 1450 AM
Probable pitchers: Reds RHP Johnny Cueto (15-8, 2.26) vs. Pirates LHP Francisco Liriano (3-10, 3.98)
• Reds CF Billy Hamilton is making a strong case for NL Rookie of the Year. He leads NL rookies in RBIs, multi-hit games, runs, hits, total bases, doubles, triples, stolen bases and extra-base hits. He ranks second among all players in the league in steals. Hamilton was tabbed NL rookie of the month for June after batting .327, including 10 doubles and three homers, with 14 steals and 18 runs scored in 27 games.
• Since absorbing a 2-1 loss at PNC Park on May 30, 2012, Johnny Cueto has gone 5-0 with a 1.74 ERA in eight regular-season starts vs. the Pirates. Cueto has allowed more than two runs in just three of his 15 career starts on the North Shore. With his next strikeout, Cueto will become the first Reds pitcher since Edinson Volquez in 2008 to record 200 Ks in a season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Nutting expects club to win division title
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Pirates ready to prove they have best outfield in baseball