Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
2:15 p.m. Busch Stadium, St. Louis
TV/radio: Root Sports/93.7 FM, 1450 AM, 1480 AM, Pirates Radio Network
Probable pitchers: Pirates RHP Gerrit Cole (7-4, 3.65) vs. Cardinals RHP Lance Lynn (14-8, 2.79)
• Gerrit Cole looked like his September 2013 self in his last start against the Cardinals on Tuesday as he was dominant, holding the Cardinals hitless into the sixth inning while striking out nine. After struggling to hold elite velocity deep into rehab starts, Cole hit 99 mph on his 97th pitch. A healthy Cole in September could be a critical for the Pirates just as it was a year ago.
• The Pirates should be able to generate some offense against Lance Lynn, who has a 4.88 career ERA against the Pirates in 13 games. The Pirates have traditionally been a quality fastball-hitting team under Clint Hurdle. Lynn throws a fastball on nearly 80 percent of his pitches. In an era of sinking and cut fastballs, Lynn leans on a straight four-seam fastball.
Triple-A reliever Vin Mazzaro is a candidate to be recalled when the roster can be expanded Monday. Mazzaro logged plenty of work with the Pirates in 2013 but has appeared in only five games this season. Mazzaro has a 2.52 ERA with Indy.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pirates take advantage of Reds misplay to secure crucial win, clinch homefield for wild-card game
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates at Reds