Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
2:15 p.m. Busch Stadium, St. Louis
TV/radio: Root Sports/93.7 FM, 1450 AM, 1480 AM, Pirates Radio Network
Probable pitchers: Pirates RHP Gerrit Cole (7-4, 3.65) vs. Cardinals RHP Lance Lynn (14-8, 2.79)
• Gerrit Cole looked like his September 2013 self in his last start against the Cardinals on Tuesday as he was dominant, holding the Cardinals hitless into the sixth inning while striking out nine. After struggling to hold elite velocity deep into rehab starts, Cole hit 99 mph on his 97th pitch. A healthy Cole in September could be a critical for the Pirates just as it was a year ago.
• The Pirates should be able to generate some offense against Lance Lynn, who has a 4.88 career ERA against the Pirates in 13 games. The Pirates have traditionally been a quality fastball-hitting team under Clint Hurdle. Lynn throws a fastball on nearly 80 percent of his pitches. In an era of sinking and cut fastballs, Lynn leans on a straight four-seam fastball.
Triple-A reliever Vin Mazzaro is a candidate to be recalled when the roster can be expanded Monday. Mazzaro logged plenty of work with the Pirates in 2013 but has appeared in only five games this season. Mazzaro has a 2.52 ERA with Indy.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates say goodbye to veteran leaders Burnett, Ramirez
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due