Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• LHP Jeff Locke is 2-1 with a 2.70 ERA in four career starts vs. the Cardinals. Last Wednesday, he gave up one run over 71⁄3 innings and outdueled Cards ace Adam Wainwright in a 3-1 win at PNC Park. Locke this year has left five starts with a lead, only to lose them via blown saves. He is 2-1 with a 1.93 ERA in fives starts vs. NL Central foes.
• Cardinals C Yadier Molina was activated off the disabled list Friday after missing 40 games due to thumb surgery. Molina injured a ligament in his thumb while sliding into third base during a game vs. the Pirates on July 9. In his first two games back, Molina collected five hits, including two hits in the eighth inning of the second game of a doubleheader Saturday.
High-A Bradenton is the only Pirates' minor league affiliate to make the playoffs. The Marauders will host Fort Myers on Tuesday in the opener of a best-of-three series at McKechnie Field. This is the third time in five years Bradenton has qualified for the postseason.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Pirates notebook: Reds deny intent after Cueto plunks McCutchen
- Despite loss to Reds, Pirates’ hopes for division still alive
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Pirates to open 2015 in Cincinnati; home opener will feature Detroit