Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• LHP Jeff Locke is 2-1 with a 2.70 ERA in four career starts vs. the Cardinals. Last Wednesday, he gave up one run over 7 1⁄3 innings and outdueled Cards ace Adam Wainwright in a 3-1 win at PNC Park. Locke this year has left five starts with a lead, only to lose them via blown saves. He is 2-1 with a 1.93 ERA in fives starts vs. NL Central foes.
• Cardinals C Yadier Molina was activated off the disabled list Friday after missing 40 games due to thumb surgery. Molina injured a ligament in his thumb while sliding into third base during a game vs. the Pirates on July 9. In his first two games back, Molina collected five hits, including two hits in the eighth inning of the second game of a doubleheader Saturday.
High-A Bradenton is the only Pirates' minor league affiliate to make the playoffs. The Marauders will host Fort Myers on Tuesday in the opener of a best-of-three series at McKechnie Field. This is the third time in five years Bradenton has qualified for the postseason.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates’ Alvarez eager to prove he can play first, regain power stroke
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders