Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• LHP Jeff Locke is 2-1 with a 2.70 ERA in four career starts vs. the Cardinals. Last Wednesday, he gave up one run over 71⁄3 innings and outdueled Cards ace Adam Wainwright in a 3-1 win at PNC Park. Locke this year has left five starts with a lead, only to lose them via blown saves. He is 2-1 with a 1.93 ERA in fives starts vs. NL Central foes.
• Cardinals C Yadier Molina was activated off the disabled list Friday after missing 40 games due to thumb surgery. Molina injured a ligament in his thumb while sliding into third base during a game vs. the Pirates on July 9. In his first two games back, Molina collected five hits, including two hits in the eighth inning of the second game of a doubleheader Saturday.
High-A Bradenton is the only Pirates' minor league affiliate to make the playoffs. The Marauders will host Fort Myers on Tuesday in the opener of a best-of-three series at McKechnie Field. This is the third time in five years Bradenton has qualified for the postseason.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Starkey: Pirates’ priorities should be obvious
- Pirates face major decisions on a handful of players in offseason
- Offensive production, filling out rotation key for Pirates next season
- Sound familiar? Pirates enter offseason trying to solidify 1B position