Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• LHP Jeff Locke is 2-1 with a 2.70 ERA in four career starts vs. the Cardinals. Last Wednesday, he gave up one run over 7 1⁄3 innings and outdueled Cards ace Adam Wainwright in a 3-1 win at PNC Park. Locke this year has left five starts with a lead, only to lose them via blown saves. He is 2-1 with a 1.93 ERA in fives starts vs. NL Central foes.
• Cardinals C Yadier Molina was activated off the disabled list Friday after missing 40 games due to thumb surgery. Molina injured a ligament in his thumb while sliding into third base during a game vs. the Pirates on July 9. In his first two games back, Molina collected five hits, including two hits in the eighth inning of the second game of a doubleheader Saturday.
High-A Bradenton is the only Pirates' minor league affiliate to make the playoffs. The Marauders will host Fort Myers on Tuesday in the opener of a best-of-three series at McKechnie Field. This is the third time in five years Bradenton has qualified for the postseason.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Power’s Tarpley a fan of aggressive pitch tactics
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery