Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
• LHP Jeff Locke is 2-1 with a 2.70 ERA in four career starts vs. the Cardinals. Last Wednesday, he gave up one run over 7 1⁄3 innings and outdueled Cards ace Adam Wainwright in a 3-1 win at PNC Park. Locke this year has left five starts with a lead, only to lose them via blown saves. He is 2-1 with a 1.93 ERA in fives starts vs. NL Central foes.
• Cardinals C Yadier Molina was activated off the disabled list Friday after missing 40 games due to thumb surgery. Molina injured a ligament in his thumb while sliding into third base during a game vs. the Pirates on July 9. In his first two games back, Molina collected five hits, including two hits in the eighth inning of the second game of a doubleheader Saturday.
High-A Bradenton is the only Pirates' minor league affiliate to make the playoffs. The Marauders will host Fort Myers on Tuesday in the opener of a best-of-three series at McKechnie Field. This is the third time in five years Bradenton has qualified for the postseason.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- Pirates’ Burnett aims to defy age curve
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Pirates’ voluntary minicamp opens up without Pedro Alvarez
- Pirates notebook: For Holdzkom, a whole new world
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates