Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Shelby Miller, 23, will be seeking his 25th career victory Wednesday. This season, he is 2-2 with a 4.64 ERA vs. the Pirates. In his career, Miller is 2-6 with a 4.98 ERA vs. Pittsburgh. The Pirates are responsible for one-third of Miller's 18 career losses. He has allowed three or fewer runs in eight of 13 starts this season at Busch Stadium.
• With a righty on the mound, RF Gregory Polanco might make his first start since being recalled from Triple-A Indy. Polanco hasn't played in a big league game since Aug. 24. His last hit and RBI with the Pirates was Aug. 17 vs. the Nationals. Although he has scuffled lately, Polanco's plate discipline has been pretty good. According to PITCHf/x, only 48 percent of pitches he sees are in the strike zone. When Polanco swings at a pitch, he makes contact 79 percent of the time.
Double-A Altoona INF Alen Hansen had a 27-game on-base streak when he went on the DL on Aug. 25 with a season-ending injury. The streak will remain active if he returns to Altoona next season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates face major decisions on a handful of players in offseason
- Pirates acquire Orioles reliever, designate Tabata for assignment
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason