Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Shelby Miller, 23, will be seeking his 25th career victory Wednesday. This season, he is 2-2 with a 4.64 ERA vs. the Pirates. In his career, Miller is 2-6 with a 4.98 ERA vs. Pittsburgh. The Pirates are responsible for one-third of Miller's 18 career losses. He has allowed three or fewer runs in eight of 13 starts this season at Busch Stadium.
• With a righty on the mound, RF Gregory Polanco might make his first start since being recalled from Triple-A Indy. Polanco hasn't played in a big league game since Aug. 24. His last hit and RBI with the Pirates was Aug. 17 vs. the Nationals. Although he has scuffled lately, Polanco's plate discipline has been pretty good. According to PITCHf/x, only 48 percent of pitches he sees are in the strike zone. When Polanco swings at a pitch, he makes contact 79 percent of the time.
Double-A Altoona INF Alen Hansen had a 27-game on-base streak when he went on the DL on Aug. 25 with a season-ending injury. The streak will remain active if he returns to Altoona next season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Saturday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton scratched from Sunday’s start
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Stats speak: Sliders stand between Pirates, playoffs
- Pirates hold on to beat Red Sox, complete 3-game sweep at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Bucs batters seeing doubles
- Friday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener