Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Shelby Miller, 23, will be seeking his 25th career victory Wednesday. This season, he is 2-2 with a 4.64 ERA vs. the Pirates. In his career, Miller is 2-6 with a 4.98 ERA vs. Pittsburgh. The Pirates are responsible for one-third of Miller's 18 career losses. He has allowed three or fewer runs in eight of 13 starts this season at Busch Stadium.
• With a righty on the mound, RF Gregory Polanco might make his first start since being recalled from Triple-A Indy. Polanco hasn't played in a big league game since Aug. 24. His last hit and RBI with the Pirates was Aug. 17 vs. the Nationals. Although he has scuffled lately, Polanco's plate discipline has been pretty good. According to PITCHf/x, only 48 percent of pitches he sees are in the strike zone. When Polanco swings at a pitch, he makes contact 79 percent of the time.
Double-A Altoona INF Alen Hansen had a 27-game on-base streak when he went on the DL on Aug. 25 with a season-ending injury. The streak will remain active if he returns to Altoona next season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after experiencing elbow discomfort
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- The Starting Nine: Silver linings for Alvarez
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene