Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Cubs
Tsuyoshi Wada is the first of three left-handed starters the Pirates will face at Wrigley Field. As a team, the Pirates are batting .254 with a .315 on-base percentage and .359 slugging percentage in 27 games against southpaw starters. Against all lefties, the Pirates are hitting .245/.311/.353. That should mean a lot of playing time for first baseman Gaby Sanchez, who has a .257/.328/.450 slash line against lefties.
• The Cubs really can play the spoiler down the stretch. Chicago has 22 games remaining, all but three against teams in contention for playoff spots. The Cubs have 13 games remaining at Wrigley Field, where they have a .241/.299/.388 slash line and a 3.32 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP.
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro likely will miss the rest of the season with a high left-ankle sprain. Second baseman Javier Baez will fill the position. Since 2011, Castro's 707 hits are tops among shortstops in the majors. He had been riding a nine-game hitting streak.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates hit 3 HRs in rout of Red Sox
- Pirates notebook: Castillo’s debut underscores challenges in Cuban market
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates