Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Cubs
Tsuyoshi Wada is the first of three left-handed starters the Pirates will face at Wrigley Field. As a team, the Pirates are batting .254 with a .315 on-base percentage and .359 slugging percentage in 27 games against southpaw starters. Against all lefties, the Pirates are hitting .245/.311/.353. That should mean a lot of playing time for first baseman Gaby Sanchez, who has a .257/.328/.450 slash line against lefties.
• The Cubs really can play the spoiler down the stretch. Chicago has 22 games remaining, all but three against teams in contention for playoff spots. The Cubs have 13 games remaining at Wrigley Field, where they have a .241/.299/.388 slash line and a 3.32 ERA and a 1.21 WHIP.
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro likely will miss the rest of the season with a high left-ankle sprain. Second baseman Javier Baez will fill the position. Since 2011, Castro's 707 hits are tops among shortstops in the majors. He had been riding a nine-game hitting streak.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitching prospect Kingham undergoes Tommy John surgery
- Pirates’ Morton hopes he’s past injury-riddled part of career
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Padres, May 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez having success looking the other way
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak
- THE BLAME GAME
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 27, 2015