Share This Page

Pirates reach deals with 5 arbitration-eligible players

| Friday, Jan. 15, 2016, 1:00 p.m.
Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review
Pirates closer Mark Melancon pitches during the ninth inning against the Reds on Sunday, Oct. 4, 2015, at PNC Park.
Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review
Pirates reliever Tony Watson pitches against the Cubs on Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2015, at PNC Park.
Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review
Pirates catcher Francisco Cervelli walks from the field after the final out in National League Wild Card game against the Cubs Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2015, at PNC Park.
Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review
Pirates reliever Jared Hughes pitches during the seventh inning against the Giants on Thursday, Aug. 20, 2015, at PNC Park.
Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review
Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer stands on the field after a Tony Cruz home run gave the Cardinals an 11-1 lead during the second game of a doubleheader Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2015, at PNC Park.

The Pirates reached one-year deals with five players Friday, which allowed the team to avoid going to arbitration with any of their seven eligible players.

The Pirates reached a one-year deal worth $9.65 million with closer Mark Melancon, according to a source.

The Pirates reached a one-year, $3.5 million deal with catcher Francisco Cervelli, who can become a free agent after the 2016 season, and a one-year, $2.075 million deal with shortstop Jordy Mercer, sources told the Tribune-Review.

The Pirates also reached one-year deals with relief pitchers Tony Watson ($3.45 million) and Jared Hughes ($2.75 million) prior to Friday's deadline.

Watson and Hughes were each arbitration eligible for a second time. Arbitration-eligible players who did not sign by 1 p.m. Friday must exchange salary figures with their teams with an arbitrator ultimately deciding in favor of the club or player.

“It is our preference to reach a common financial ground via negotiation, and we were able to do that this time through the cycle,” general manager Neal Huntington said.

Earlier in the week, the club also signed pitcher Jeff Locke. Backup catcher Chris Stewart also reached a two-year deal with the Pirates, pending a physical.

Melancon, who led the majors with a club-record 51 saves last season, was in line to receive a projected $10 million in arbitration.

Locke, Hughes, Cervelli, Watson and Mercer signed one-year deals for a combined $14.8 million in 2016. MLBTradeRumors.com projected the five would earn $14.6 million.

Cervelli exceeded his projection by the greatest amount — $1 million — while Watson earned $1.2 million less than his projection.

Cervelli replaced much of Russell Martin's value after being acquired from the New York Yankees last offseason in a trade. Cervelli was an above average offensive and defensive contributor for the Pirates. He was worth 3.8 Wins Above Replacement in 2015.

Mercer, a defensive-minded shortstop, hit a modest .244 last season. But he saved 6.6 runs above average, defensively, compared to an average major league shortstop, according to Fangraphs.com.

Hughes and Watson were integral parts of what was one of the best bullpens in the sport in 2015.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.