Spring training breakdown: Pirates 2, Yankees 0
pirates 2, yankees 1
Yankees starter: RHP Hiroki Kuroda 6 IP, 1 H, 5 SO
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 6 IP, 4 H, 3 SO
Break it up: Kuroda retired the first 10 batters he faced. Garrett Jones broke up the no-no with an infield single that bounced out of Kuroda's reach.
Making do: The Pirates got their first run without hitting the ball out of the infield. Travis Snider walked, Jose Tabata hit an infield single. Snider scored on a double-steal and throwing error by catcher Francisco Cervelli.
Quality effort: Locke saved his best for his last spring training start. The lefty blanked the Yankees on four hits through six innings. “Everything just kind of clicked,” he said.
Stock up: Getaway day. With both teams poised to catch flights out of Florida, the game zoomed through the first six innings.
Stock down: The seventh inning. The Pirates sent six batters to the plate and scored twice, the Yankees made three pitching changes and — poof! — that speedy pace was gone.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- Boston College football coach Addazio can’t get enough of the game