Spring training breakdown: Pirates 2, Yankees 0
pirates 2, yankees 1
Yankees starter: RHP Hiroki Kuroda 6 IP, 1 H, 5 SO
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 6 IP, 4 H, 3 SO
Break it up: Kuroda retired the first 10 batters he faced. Garrett Jones broke up the no-no with an infield single that bounced out of Kuroda's reach.
Making do: The Pirates got their first run without hitting the ball out of the infield. Travis Snider walked, Jose Tabata hit an infield single. Snider scored on a double-steal and throwing error by catcher Francisco Cervelli.
Quality effort: Locke saved his best for his last spring training start. The lefty blanked the Yankees on four hits through six innings. “Everything just kind of clicked,” he said.
Stock up: Getaway day. With both teams poised to catch flights out of Florida, the game zoomed through the first six innings.
Stock down: The seventh inning. The Pirates sent six batters to the plate and scored twice, the Yankees made three pitching changes and — poof! — that speedy pace was gone.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Car, truck collide near Taco Bell in New Kensington
- Springdale council, mayor spar over police costs
- Burrell School Board debates hiring resource officer
- Mylan CEO Bresch sets sights on growth
- Fallowfield revisits local police coverage
- Cheswick fills 1 of 2 council vacancies
- Western Pennsylvania detailers get opportunity to work on original Air Force One
- Leechburg nears final phase of sewer separation project
- Valley roundup: Burrell’s Mazary scores twice in Buccaneers win
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener