Spring training breakdown: Pirates 2, Yankees 0
pirates 2, yankees 1
Yankees starter: RHP Hiroki Kuroda 6 IP, 1 H, 5 SO
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 6 IP, 4 H, 3 SO
Break it up: Kuroda retired the first 10 batters he faced. Garrett Jones broke up the no-no with an infield single that bounced out of Kuroda's reach.
Making do: The Pirates got their first run without hitting the ball out of the infield. Travis Snider walked, Jose Tabata hit an infield single. Snider scored on a double-steal and throwing error by catcher Francisco Cervelli.
Quality effort: Locke saved his best for his last spring training start. The lefty blanked the Yankees on four hits through six innings. “Everything just kind of clicked,” he said.
Stock up: Getaway day. With both teams poised to catch flights out of Florida, the game zoomed through the first six innings.
Stock down: The seventh inning. The Pirates sent six batters to the plate and scored twice, the Yankees made three pitching changes and — poof! — that speedy pace was gone.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State mens basketball wins fourth in a row, improves to 6-1
- Disney TV Animation going strong after 30 years
- Homework: Gifts and Greens Market is Dec. 4-6
- Homes for the holiday: Christmas house tours abound
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Gazing at the grass in winter is a vision in grace
- National Portrait Gallery asks public to vote for art
- Ryan says journalism, fiction ways to tell story
- Book details Steelers’ history in black and white
- Ray Rice wins appeal, suspension vacated, can return to NFL
- Icy roads cause accidents, slow traffic across Western Pa.