Spring training breakdown: Pirates 2, Yankees 0
pirates 2, yankees 1
Yankees starter: RHP Hiroki Kuroda 6 IP, 1 H, 5 SO
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 6 IP, 4 H, 3 SO
Break it up: Kuroda retired the first 10 batters he faced. Garrett Jones broke up the no-no with an infield single that bounced out of Kuroda's reach.
Making do: The Pirates got their first run without hitting the ball out of the infield. Travis Snider walked, Jose Tabata hit an infield single. Snider scored on a double-steal and throwing error by catcher Francisco Cervelli.
Quality effort: Locke saved his best for his last spring training start. The lefty blanked the Yankees on four hits through six innings. “Everything just kind of clicked,” he said.
Stock up: Getaway day. With both teams poised to catch flights out of Florida, the game zoomed through the first six innings.
Stock down: The seventh inning. The Pirates sent six batters to the plate and scored twice, the Yankees made three pitching changes and — poof! — that speedy pace was gone.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- Penguins’ Malkin: ‘We’re not a championship team’
- Hempfield man dies in single-vehicle accident
- Penguins eliminated with Game 5 overtime loss to Rangers
- Fleury valiant in defeat
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Death toll from Nepal earthquake reaches at least 876
- First Amendment experts decry Plum authorities’ warning to students
- Western Pa. experts say nonprofit mergers take work
- Former Olympian Bruce Jenner comes out as transgender: ‘I am a woman’
- Venetia man charged after allegedly pointing pistol at slow driver in the fast lane