Spring training breakdown: Pirates 2, Yankees 0
pirates 2, yankees 1
Yankees starter: RHP Hiroki Kuroda 6 IP, 1 H, 5 SO
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 6 IP, 4 H, 3 SO
Break it up: Kuroda retired the first 10 batters he faced. Garrett Jones broke up the no-no with an infield single that bounced out of Kuroda's reach.
Making do: The Pirates got their first run without hitting the ball out of the infield. Travis Snider walked, Jose Tabata hit an infield single. Snider scored on a double-steal and throwing error by catcher Francisco Cervelli.
Quality effort: Locke saved his best for his last spring training start. The lefty blanked the Yankees on four hits through six innings. “Everything just kind of clicked,” he said.
Stock up: Getaway day. With both teams poised to catch flights out of Florida, the game zoomed through the first six innings.
Stock down: The seventh inning. The Pirates sent six batters to the plate and scored twice, the Yankees made three pitching changes and — poof! — that speedy pace was gone.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?
- 2014 has been among deadliest for the world’s airline industry
- Smartphone coupons just one way stores aim to increase spontaneous buys
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End
- Greensburg man held for trial in hospital assault
- Latrobe couple who locked son in car trunk avoids jail
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role