Spring training breakdown: Curve 8, Pirates 6
By Karen Price
Published: Saturday, March 30, 2013, 7:03 p.m.
Pirates starter: James McDonald 2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 2 WP
Curve starter: Jason Grilli 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 K
Which way do I go?: Jason Grilli, Jared Hughes and Justin Wilson each pitched one inning, and Tony Watson pitched 2⁄3 of an inning for Altoona. All four started toward the Pirates' dugout after the third out before turning and going to the Curve's side.
Stars come out: Altoona announced it will host the 2014 Eastern League All-Star Game on July 16, 2014. It will be the second time the franchise has hosted the game and first time since 2006.
Stock up: Starling Marte crushed a grand slam to left field off Tony Watson to tie the game, 4-4, in the second inning. Marte, who won the Eastern League batting title in Altoona in 2011, had just one RBI and no home runs this spring.
Stock down: James McDonald had a rocky first inning. The right-hander threw 38 pitches to nine batters, gave up four runs and three hits, threw a wild pitch, walked three and allowed two stolen bases.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kovacevic: Keeping faith in Letang is simple
- Steelers lineman Adams gets 2nd chance to start
- Fleury, Crosby lead Penguins to victory over Sharks at Consol
- South Side man qualifies for ‘biggest fantasy football event ever’ this weekend in Vegas
- Truck driver blames sneeze for crash in Washington County
- With Pitt men ahead, gauntlet continues for Loyola Marymount
- Penguins notebook: Injury keeps Malkin out against Sharks
- Ex-Penguins winger Kennedy ‘emotional’ about return
- Steelers rookie RB Bell gets respect from teammates, foes alike
- Steelers notebook: Woodley practices but unsure where he’ll play
- WVU struggles offensively during 1st half in loss to Missouri