Spring training breakdown: Curve 8, Pirates 6
Pirates starter: James McDonald 2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 2 WP
Curve starter: Jason Grilli 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 K
Which way do I go?: Jason Grilli, Jared Hughes and Justin Wilson each pitched one inning, and Tony Watson pitched 2⁄3 of an inning for Altoona. All four started toward the Pirates' dugout after the third out before turning and going to the Curve's side.
Stars come out: Altoona announced it will host the 2014 Eastern League All-Star Game on July 16, 2014. It will be the second time the franchise has hosted the game and first time since 2006.
Stock up: Starling Marte crushed a grand slam to left field off Tony Watson to tie the game, 4-4, in the second inning. Marte, who won the Eastern League batting title in Altoona in 2011, had just one RBI and no home runs this spring.
Stock down: James McDonald had a rocky first inning. The right-hander threw 38 pitches to nine batters, gave up four runs and three hits, threw a wild pitch, walked three and allowed two stolen bases.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense
- Judge lets New Kensington Ten Commandments monument stand
- Consol takes $603 million loss in second quarter
- Steelers notebook: Backup QB Gradkowski remains out with shoulder issue
- Rising East Liberty out of reach for Pittsburgh’s poor
- Leisure, hospitality lead Pittsburgh area job gains
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Dollars and sense: High cost of child care keeps many out of work force
- UPMC, Allegheny Health Network employees win lunch-pay lawsuits
- Watering garden right during summer’s high temperatures makes difference