Brewers smack five home runs at home in victory over Pirates
MILWAUKEE — To find out what it's like to play for the Pirates at Miller Park, Wandy Rodriguez could have shoved bamboo shoots under his fingernails. Or stepped on a thumbtack. Or stuck his head in a bee's nest.
Instead, Rodriguez went out to the mound and pitched. Ouch!
The Milwaukee Brewers smacked five home runs Monday, three of them off Rodriguez, and crushed the Pirates, 10-4. The Brewers also tallied three triples and a double in their 12-hit attack.
Since 2007, the Brewers are 45-7 against the Pirates at Miller Park. According to Elias Sports Bureau, that's the best record by one team at home against a division opponent in that span.
The Brewers have won eight straight games (home and away) against the Pirates. Going back to 2007, Milwaukee holds a 70-24 advantage, which is — you guessed it — the best record by one team against a division foe in that period.
“We've talked about it internally,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “It's not so much we need to do something different. We need to play good baseball against these guys. That's what we've not done consistently well.”
Even before he joined the Pirates last July, Rodriguez struggled at Miller Park. In 12 starts for the Astros, Rodriguez went 3-7 with a 5.88 ERA and a 1.66 WHIP. On Monday, he lasted 32⁄3 innings and gave up seven runs and six hits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Cancer didn’t stop mother from living for her son
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Suspect in Route 28 death has long history of ignoring vehicle registration, license laws, records show
- Fall fly-by: Blue Angels stop in Unity to discuss 2015 show