Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 2
Welcome back: Brent Morel singled in the seventh inning in his first at-bat with the Pirates. Morel was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Streak's over: Chris McGuiness struck out swinging, ending his run of four straight at-bats with a hit to start spring training. McGuiness had two singles in the Grapefruit League opener, then singled and doubled Thursday.
Stock up: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez doubled in each of his first two at-bats and scored each time. His first hit came on a fly ball that caromed off the center-field wall. Alvarez also made a fine defensive play on Anthony Gose's bunt.
Stock down: As he did last season, LHP Andy Oliver continues to struggle with control. He walked the bases loaded in the fifth inning and gave up the go-ahead run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Ravens DL fined for hit on Roethlisberger
- Penguins notebook: Crosby practices, feels better
- Crosby limited in early return to Penguins training camp
- Inside the glass: Johnston’s opening practice grueling
- Judge lifts order blocking racy state emails
- In U.S., 1 in 4 say secession favorable
- Floods paralyze Manila
- Penguins’ new 3rd jersey similar to early 1990s version
- Shots fired at student in Hill District
- Shiite, Sunni clashes in Yemeni capital kill 120
- Police, bloodhound team locate former athletic director, Greensburg official