Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 2
Welcome back: Brent Morel singled in the seventh inning in his first at-bat with the Pirates. Morel was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Streak's over: Chris McGuiness struck out swinging, ending his run of four straight at-bats with a hit to start spring training. McGuiness had two singles in the Grapefruit League opener, then singled and doubled Thursday.
Stock up: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez doubled in each of his first two at-bats and scored each time. His first hit came on a fly ball that caromed off the center-field wall. Alvarez also made a fine defensive play on Anthony Gose's bunt.
Stock down: As he did last season, LHP Andy Oliver continues to struggle with control. He walked the bases loaded in the fifth inning and gave up the go-ahead run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man killed in SUV rollover on Parkway East
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Game Commission OKs deer culling in Mt. Lebanon
- Federal grand jury indicts man for violating poultry law while operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home
- Veterans Administration settles another Legionnaire’s lawsuit
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Pittsburgh City Council clears path for lower Hill District development
- Man apprehended after North Belle Vernon pharmacy robbery
- NTSB: Better oversight needed to prevent natural gas pipeline accidents
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers