Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 2
Welcome back: Brent Morel singled in the seventh inning in his first at-bat with the Pirates. Morel was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Streak's over: Chris McGuiness struck out swinging, ending his run of four straight at-bats with a hit to start spring training. McGuiness had two singles in the Grapefruit League opener, then singled and doubled Thursday.
Stock up: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez doubled in each of his first two at-bats and scored each time. His first hit came on a fly ball that caromed off the center-field wall. Alvarez also made a fine defensive play on Anthony Gose's bunt.
Stock down: As he did last season, LHP Andy Oliver continues to struggle with control. He walked the bases loaded in the fifth inning and gave up the go-ahead run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State police say escaped Armstrong County inmate has been captured
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Police: Escaped Armstrong County inmate armed, dangerous homicide suspect
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Steelers stress improved conditioning in attempt to play past injuries
- Emails among Governor Wolf’s aides reveal concern over AG Kane
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- At least 3 people, including 12-year-old boy, wounded in Homewood shooting
- Warrant issued for man accused of killing Brookline woman