Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 2
Welcome back: Brent Morel singled in the seventh inning in his first at-bat with the Pirates. Morel was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Streak's over: Chris McGuiness struck out swinging, ending his run of four straight at-bats with a hit to start spring training. McGuiness had two singles in the Grapefruit League opener, then singled and doubled Thursday.
Stock up: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez doubled in each of his first two at-bats and scored each time. His first hit came on a fly ball that caromed off the center-field wall. Alvarez also made a fine defensive play on Anthony Gose's bunt.
Stock down: As he did last season, LHP Andy Oliver continues to struggle with control. He walked the bases loaded in the fifth inning and gave up the go-ahead run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Pirates claim Ishikawa off waivers; Marte injured
- Residents return from church to discover fire-damaged Greensburg home
- Don’t remove history’s lessons
- Man charged with passing counterfeit bills at Rivers Casino
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Woman shot at Kennywood Park in ‘freak accident’
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Police: Maine man shoots off firework from top of head, dies
- Measles carries risk of deadly complication for young
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis promising, study shows