Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 2
Welcome back: Brent Morel singled in the seventh inning in his first at-bat with the Pirates. Morel was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Streak's over: Chris McGuiness struck out swinging, ending his run of four straight at-bats with a hit to start spring training. McGuiness had two singles in the Grapefruit League opener, then singled and doubled Thursday.
Stock up: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez doubled in each of his first two at-bats and scored each time. His first hit came on a fly ball that caromed off the center-field wall. Alvarez also made a fine defensive play on Anthony Gose's bunt.
Stock down: As he did last season, LHP Andy Oliver continues to struggle with control. He walked the bases loaded in the fifth inning and gave up the go-ahead run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Rossi: Brawl for ADs between Pitt and WVU
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Analysis: Misunderstood Chryst served Pitt well
- Clairton students reference positive ‘Frozen’-themed lessons
- Time is of essence for Pitt in finding football coach, athletic director
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- McKeesport Area fourth-grader thrilled with gift from White Oak Lions Club
- Elizabeth Forward marks 35th year of senior holiday breakfast
- Pitt offensive coordinator Rudolph still focused on Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Chiefs pass rush to test Steelers