Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 2
Welcome back: Brent Morel singled in the seventh inning in his first at-bat with the Pirates. Morel was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Streak's over: Chris McGuiness struck out swinging, ending his run of four straight at-bats with a hit to start spring training. McGuiness had two singles in the Grapefruit League opener, then singled and doubled Thursday.
Stock up: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez doubled in each of his first two at-bats and scored each time. His first hit came on a fly ball that caromed off the center-field wall. Alvarez also made a fine defensive play on Anthony Gose's bunt.
Stock down: As he did last season, LHP Andy Oliver continues to struggle with control. He walked the bases loaded in the fifth inning and gave up the go-ahead run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- Amusement parks fight off home entertainment threat
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Fatal crash closes Flight 93 chapel in Somerset County
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Surge in small drones making airline pilots nervous
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Pitt plays best game of the season; routs Kansas State
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop