Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 2
Welcome back: Brent Morel singled in the seventh inning in his first at-bat with the Pirates. Morel was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Streak's over: Chris McGuiness struck out swinging, ending his run of four straight at-bats with a hit to start spring training. McGuiness had two singles in the Grapefruit League opener, then singled and doubled Thursday.
Stock up: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez doubled in each of his first two at-bats and scored each time. His first hit came on a fly ball that caromed off the center-field wall. Alvarez also made a fine defensive play on Anthony Gose's bunt.
Stock down: As he did last season, LHP Andy Oliver continues to struggle with control. He walked the bases loaded in the fifth inning and gave up the go-ahead run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Wolf’s Pa. budget plan seen as having almost no chance
- Mt. Lebanon deer-culling corrals sprayed with urine, repellant
- Angry fans cited in shortage of refs in Western Pennsylvania
- Dermatologist led UPMC residency program
- Ice jam wipes out McKeesport’s marina
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Miami’s 67-63 victory further damages Pitt’s NCAA Tourney hopes
- Supreme Court split on Obamacare subsidies