Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 2
Welcome back: Brent Morel singled in the seventh inning in his first at-bat with the Pirates. Morel was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
Streak's over: Chris McGuiness struck out swinging, ending his run of four straight at-bats with a hit to start spring training. McGuiness had two singles in the Grapefruit League opener, then singled and doubled Thursday.
Stock up: Third baseman Pedro Alvarez doubled in each of his first two at-bats and scored each time. His first hit came on a fly ball that caromed off the center-field wall. Alvarez also made a fine defensive play on Anthony Gose's bunt.
Stock down: As he did last season, LHP Andy Oliver continues to struggle with control. He walked the bases loaded in the fifth inning and gave up the go-ahead run.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in 43-19 preseason loss at Bills
- Walk-off single moves Pennsylvania team into LLWS title game
- Shale gas violations down as DEP steps up inspections
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Shaler man’s effort restores glory to flag display at Millvale post office
- MLB notebook: Dodgers voice Scully set to end 67-year run in 2016
- Frye: Summer’s end offers space for fishing
- Shaler man charged with homicide, abuse of corpse in McKeesport woman’s death
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses