Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom : Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up : LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down : Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon : Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Annual Rural Valley festival kicks off Thursday
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- New Kensington-Arnold principals given new duties to reflect realignment
- 3 ways to dig up dirt on people
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Uber, Lyft get tentative PUC permission to operate in Allegheny County
- MORE A&E: Peters magician advances to next ‘Got Talent’ round
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Residents, search panel refine sketch of Pittsburgh police chief