Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom : Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up : LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down : Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon : Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh hires consultant, former Wisconsin police captain as chief
- Tomlin: Steelers preparing to face both Browns QBs
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Trial opens in case of man shot, paralyzed during traffic stop altercation
- On-off ramps on southbound Interstate 79 from Carnegie slated for two-day closure
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters