Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom : Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up : LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down : Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon : Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arnold man charged after 20-mile chase
- McKeesport park to get more regional asset funds
- Gunfire plagues New Kensington
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Monessen woman honored for service as church volunteer
- Car, bike show to outfit police
- Home brew returns
- Falcons to host ‘Kitty Cat Game’
- At least $100,000 in appliances stolen from new homes around Western Pa.
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Business roundup: SEC fines Bank of America $7.65M for miscalculation; court-ordered anti-smoking ads challenged; more