Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom: Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up: LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down: Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon: Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NASA head tells Pitt grads their generation will ‘walk the face of Mars’
- Fire caused $75,000 in damage to Beltzhoover playground
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Young defensemen make case for future with Penguins
- Aftershocks terrify survivors of quake in Nepal that killed 2,500
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- Crews battle 5-alarm fire at North Union industrial building
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired