Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom: Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up: LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down: Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon: Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins trade for Toronto’s Kessel
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Steelers submit application to host Super Bowl
- Saudi prince will donate all wealth, $32B worth
- Ligonier Township officer’s widow to file civil suit
- Second Blair County friar commits suicide in province under sex abuse investigation
- Leading on race: Communities, not elites
- Remains of Korean War soldier from Apollon identified
- Three seek to serve four-year term in seat of deceased county council member
- Donora-Webster Bridge plunges into Mon River after 106 years
- FBI searching for Homestead man indicted for sex trafficking in children