Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom: Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up: LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down: Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon: Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Pitt men’s basketball adds junior-college guard
- Starkey: The kick returner and the grizzly bear
- Bryant suspension opens doors for other Steelers’ receivers
- Animal activists targeting Vick at Steelers preseason game
- Risks don’t get any better as online dating prospers
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison believes Goodell will prevail in Brady ruling
- Honored Westmoreland youth counselor sought in theft of money from clients
- Steelers trade 6th-round pick for Jaguars kicker Scobee
- Pitt defense is entering new season with something to prove
- Potential suspension of Pennsylvania AG’s license unusual