Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Phillies 1
Boom: Josh Harrison jumped on a 3-2 pitch from Antonio Bastardo and blasted his first homer of the spring. The towering solo shot landed near Frenchy's tiki bar on the left field concourse.
Stock up: LHP Joely Rodriguez made quick work of the Phils in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard and Marlon Byrd grounded out, and pinch-hitter John Mayberry flew out to center. It was Rodriguez's first Grapefruit League outing.
Stock down: Erratic might the kindest way to describe LHP Yao-Hsun Yang's control in his one inning of work. He gave up a one-out single to Galvis, then hit the next two batters with pitchers. One of them, Cody Asche, had to be replaced by a pinch runner. With two outs, Carlos Ruiz walked to force in a run.
See you soon: Manager Clint Hurdle said closer Jason Grilli is tentatively scheduled to make his spring training debut Thursday against the Blue Jays at McKechnie Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Nasdaq climbs over 5,000 points ... 15 years later
- Steelers release WR Lance Moore
- Arrogant media elites mock Middle America
- St. Vincent men, La Roche women open NCAA D-III tourney Friday
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Just for Giggles, FBI tags along, finds more than sports paraphernalia at Pittsburgh store
- Sales, income taxes increases expected in Gov. Tom Wolf’s budget
- Police charge Beaver County sex offender who snuck into Pittsburgh science center