Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Tigers 2
Great throw: Check out the big arm on RF Jaff Decker. He made a great throw to C Chris Stewart and retired Hernan Perez, who tried to score from second base on a single.
Small ball: Three consecutive hits, including two that didn't leave the infield, helped the Pirates score three runs in the third. Decker got an RBI single on what looked to be a squeeze attempt. Jose Tabata beat the throw from SS Eugenio Suarez for a single. Gregory Polanco whipped a run-scoring double to right. Tabata scored on Pedro Alvarez's ground out.
Well armed: RHP Charlie Morton has allowed one hit in five scoreless innings this spring. Pirates starting pitchers have allowed one unearned run over the past four games (eight innings pitched).
Stock up: The Pirates' running game. Quincy Latimore and Alen Hanson each swiped a bag, giving the Pirates 11 steals in seven games, tops in the majors this spring. The team has been liberal with delayed steals, hit-and-runs and taking extra bases. “We are running the bases extremely well right now,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
Stock down: A fielding error by 1B Chris McGuiness led to two unearned runs in the fourth inning. With two outs and Steve Lombardozzi on first, Austin Jackson hit a line-drive homer to left field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch creates sports medicine startup at Pitt
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- Crosby understands rule prohibiting him from playing, stresses he is hurt
- WVU frat pledge had fatal blood alcohol level more than 6 times above state legal limit
- Pitt adds Texas wide receiver as 16th commitment to Class of 2015
- Officials dissent on whether offices can prohibit, charge to photograph public record documents
- Supporters optimistic about passage of medical marijuana
- Allegheny County assistant public defender charged for allegedly lying to court staff
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Owner of Italian Village Pizza stores gets house arrest for tax evasion