Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Tigers 2
Great throw: Check out the big arm on RF Jaff Decker. He made a great throw to C Chris Stewart and retired Hernan Perez, who tried to score from second base on a single.
Small ball: Three consecutive hits, including two that didn't leave the infield, helped the Pirates score three runs in the third. Decker got an RBI single on what looked to be a squeeze attempt. Jose Tabata beat the throw from SS Eugenio Suarez for a single. Gregory Polanco whipped a run-scoring double to right. Tabata scored on Pedro Alvarez's ground out.
Well armed: RHP Charlie Morton has allowed one hit in five scoreless innings this spring. Pirates starting pitchers have allowed one unearned run over the past four games (eight innings pitched).
Stock up: The Pirates' running game. Quincy Latimore and Alen Hanson each swiped a bag, giving the Pirates 11 steals in seven games, tops in the majors this spring. The team has been liberal with delayed steals, hit-and-runs and taking extra bases. “We are running the bases extremely well right now,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
Stock down: A fielding error by 1B Chris McGuiness led to two unearned runs in the fourth inning. With two outs and Steve Lombardozzi on first, Austin Jackson hit a line-drive homer to left field.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Economy police release sketch of woman whose embalmed head was found in wooded area
- Gasoline prices keep falling in Western Pa.
- Pirates win bidding for Korean infielder
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- North Korea experiencing severe Internet outages
- Steelers’ Beachum, Williams hurting but could play vs. Bengals
- WPIAL players named to Class AAA, A all-state teams
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- North Side drug den can be demolished, judge says
- Marcellus driller Vantage Energy to pay nearly $1M for Greene County well problems
- Penguins’ Sutter, Downie, Greiss being tested for mumps, out tonight