Spring training breakdown: Twins 6, Pirates 5
Everybody hits: The Pirates sent nine batters to the plate and twice loaded the bases in the first inning against RHP Vance Worley. Travis Snider hit a two-run single and Andrew Lambo drove in a run with an infield single.
The bomb: Taking advantage of a stiff breeze, Andrew McCutchen launched a long, two-run homer that landed on the boardwalk beyond right field.
Putting up zeros: Jeanmar Gomez tossed three scoreless innings. He's given up two hits and no runs with three strikeouts in six innings this spring.
Stock up: McCutchen was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle. In four games this spring, he's 8 for 11 with one walk. “No big deal,” McCutchen said. “They don't count in the spring.”
Stock down: Reliever Jared Hughes couldn't hold a 5-3 lead in the seventh inning. He gave up two runs on four hits and hit one batter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- FBI investigates celebrities’ nude photo claims
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Afghan power-sharing deal breaks down
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy