Spring training breakdown: Twins 6, Pirates 5
Everybody hits: The Pirates sent nine batters to the plate and twice loaded the bases in the first inning against RHP Vance Worley. Travis Snider hit a two-run single and Andrew Lambo drove in a run with an infield single.
The bomb: Taking advantage of a stiff breeze, Andrew McCutchen launched a long, two-run homer that landed on the boardwalk beyond right field.
Putting up zeros: Jeanmar Gomez tossed three scoreless innings. He's given up two hits and no runs with three strikeouts in six innings this spring.
Stock up: McCutchen was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle. In four games this spring, he's 8 for 11 with one walk. “No big deal,” McCutchen said. “They don't count in the spring.”
Stock down: Reliever Jared Hughes couldn't hold a 5-3 lead in the seventh inning. He gave up two runs on four hits and hit one batter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- Adams couple faces fight in quest to drill on land near Mars schools
- Cedar Point attraction mishap injures 2 riders
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- LaBar: Cesaro is WWE’s next Cinderella story
- Former Gateway coach Smith is ‘perfect fit’ for Penn State football staff
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Observers mixed on grid backup amid carbon rules, natural gas uncertainty
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page