Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up: Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: Like it or not, Reigns is rising with Royal Rumble win
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- First quarter nightmare for Monessen
- ‘Free’ wine kiosk initiative costs state Liquor Control Board $300K
- Senator opens Connellsville office
- Radioactive radon permeates Western Pennsylvania homes
- Pittsburgh diocese campaign big success
- Serra Catholic’s Sieg learning to lead in senior season
- Storm could drop 4-6 inches of snow on Pittsburgh area
- Breen, North Catholic top West Mifflin