Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up:Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Friends, family, history lure natives back to Western Pennsylvania
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- 1 dead, 1 injured after crash in North Point Breeze
- Turkey releases recording of warnings to Russian plane
- Intruder in Carrick makes off with cash, weapon
- Crosby scores twice, Malkin delivers OT goal as Penguins beat Blues
- Puppies’ eyes glued shut, South Huntingdon animal shelter says
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work