Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up:Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Penguins’ Kessel ‘thrilled’ with chance to play with Crosby, Malkin
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Penguins sign defensive prospect
- Online groups curate collections of photos that highlight Pittsburgh
- Attorney General’s twin sister sued by FBI agent ex-boyfriend
- Fashion FYI: National Bikini Day celebrates debut of two-piece suit
- Gov. Wolf vetoes bill to privatize Pennsylvania’s liquor system
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- Why rock the boat? Seafarer look is timeless and classic this time of year