Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up: Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Officials identify witness to Port Authority bus crash after releasing photo
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- VA promotion for administrator stuns legislator
- Wanted sex offender caught hiding in homemade fort in Washington County
- Pitt offense eyes healthy balance
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- Highmark seeks double-digit increase for more benefits, heavy use
- Consumer, core prices inch up
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Florida fugitive nabbed in Pittsburgh-area homeless shelter