Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up:Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills
- Penn Hills fire displaces 10
- Fayette County man killed in ATV accident
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Pirates, Cubs to make up postponed game Sept. 15
- Pennsylvania welfare employees targeted in crackdown
- One shot, one assaulted in White Township brawl
- Port Authority’s plan for car-free communities slow to bear fruit
- Chippewa man taken into custody after fatal New Brighton stabbing
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors