Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up: Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State trooper shot and killed during training exercise
- Pair accused of stealing bronze vases at Greenwood Memorial Park
- NK grocery store robbed
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- Alle-Kiski Valley roundup: Springdale boys top C.W. North Catholic
- Knife-wielding man attacks 2 in Sheetz lot in Greensburg
- Spokesman for India’s PM tells Pitt audience of pro-business agenda
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect could leave Pa. for treatment
- Murder charges dropped against sergeant who shot 2 unarmed Iraqi boys
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Judge dismisses theft charges against Pittsburgh homicide detective