Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up: Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Visual search still hampered by image issues
- Apollo Council, solicitor prepare vacancy ordinance
- Harrison rejects criticism of disorderly conduct ordinance
- Elizabeth Forward girls soccer looks to extend playoff streak
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Dorfman: Fat profit margins not always sign of star
- Labor United Celebration draws 25,000 to Northmoreland Park
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Alle-Kiski soccer notebook: Area teams begin section play this week
- Dedicated California educator Hasbrouck dead at 62
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers