Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up: Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Lawrence County jail guards lose jobs after being charged with assaulting inmate
- Highmark and UMPC feud over canceled physician contracts
- Cut by Steelers, LeGarrette Blount joins Patriots
- Rossi: For Penguins’ Dupuis, family must come first
- Most heavy drinkers aren’t alcoholics, CDC determines, reversing long-held belief
- Former Pittsburgh mayoral candidate paroled
- Rossi: As Blount walked, Porter called
- E-cigarettes cut cravings, study finds
- Replacing versatile Dupuis could prove difficult for Penguins
- Steelers notebook: Gay, secondary brace for Saints QB Brees