Spring training breakdown: Pirates 10, Rays 5
Laser show: The Pirates roughed up Tampa Bay starter Matt Moore, scoring five times in the first inning on four hits and an error before Moore struck out Gregory Polanco, the No. 8 hitter, for the first out. Moore lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing six runs.
The bomb: Russell Martin crushed his team-best third home run of the spring in the fourth inning to give the Pirates a 9-1 lead.
Dealing: After a shaky first inning, Francisco Liriano settled down to allow one run over three innings. Liriano generated a number of swings-and-misses with his off-speed pitches, which appeared to be in mid-season form.
Stock up:Gaby Sanchez went 2 for 2 and drilled a two-run double off Moore. Sanchez is a noted lefty masher, but he has a chance to become more than a platoon option this season.
Stock down: Starling Marte was hit by another pitch to lead off the game. This is not how the Pirates want their leadoff man reaching base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell shrugs off Ravens WR’s comments
- Pitt holds off Virginia Tech in ACC opener
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Afghan charity hospital bombed; Defense Secretary Carter vows full investigation
- Alle-Kiski Valley PSSA assessment scores higher than state standards
- Recruiting Philly a layup for Penn State’s Chambers
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success