Spring training breakdown: Red Sox 4, Pirates 1; Orioles 9, Pirates 2
Red Sox 4, Pirates 1
Hello: After recovering from a tight hamstring, Travis Ishikawa made his first Grapefruit League appearance Sunday as the designated hitter. He went 0 for 3, including a strikeout. Ishikawa is slated to start at first base Monday against the Orioles.
Trade target: Red Sox 1B Mike Carp mashed a towering solo homer that landed on the boardwalk in right-center field. The Pirates reportedly have scouted Carp as a possible trade candidate.
Oops: The two runs Charlie Morton allowed in the second inning were unearned due to an error by 3B Pedro Alvarez, who booted a hard grounder. It was the first error charged to Alvarez in eight games.
Stock up: Jason Grilli made quick work of the Nos. 8-9-1 batters in Boston's order. He got Travis Shaw and Deven Marrero on called third strikes, then got Jackie Bradley on a foul pop-up.
Stock down: Morton struggled to get ground balls and put six of the 16 batters he faced on base.
Orioles 9, Pirates 2
Laser show: Chris Davis went 3 for 3, ripping an opposite-field home run off Edinson Volquez and lining a single and double to center field. The Pirates hope Pedro Alvarez can better employ an all-field approach like Davis.
Going deep: Andrew McCutchen ripped his second home run of the spring in the fourth inning to left-center field off Brad Brach.
Dealing: Baltimore starter Wei-Yin Chin was very sharp. He faced only 10 Pirates hitters in three innings.
Stock up: No matter how good Tony Sanchez's March is he'll begin the season at Tripe-A. But Sanchez continues to put to rest questions about his bat, as he went 2 for 3 and homered for the second time this spring.
Stock down: Having been unseated by Jordy Mercer at shortstop, Clint Barmes is now the team's utility infielder. Barmes hasn't played much third base in his career and made a throwing error on his first chance at third Sunday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Air Algerie plane with 116 disappears from radar in Africa
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Ex-Milwaukee archbishop told he can’t spend final days at St. Vincent Archabbey
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- EQT posts $110.9 million profit in latest quarter
- Tarentum man wants confiscated cash back so he can hire attorney