Spring training breakdown: Orioles 7, Pirates 6
Don't try it: The Orioles went 0 for 2 on stolen-base attempts against C Russell Martin. In the first inning, Martin got speedy Quintin Berry (2B Michael Martinez tagged him on the leg). In the sixth, Martin threw out pinch-runner Julio Borbon.
Nice D: Henry Urrutia hit a sharp grounder with lots of spin that took an odd hop, but Martinez made a sprawling stop, bounced to his feet and made an accurate throw for the out.
Blown chances: Travis Snider, Travis Ishikawa, Andrew McCutchen and Chris Dickerson went a combined 0 for 4 with the bases loaded.
Stock up: RHP Jay Jackson did well filling in for LHP Jeff Locke (oblique). “As long as they keep giving me the ball, I'm getting a chance,” Jackson said. “As long as I get a chance, I'm going to take advantage of it.”
Stock down: Snider struck out in each of his first two at-bats. In the first inning, he batted with the bases loaded and nobody out and took a called strike three.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Syrian border town emerges as pivot point in Islamic State fight
- Robinson: Rooney retains North Side roots
- Starkey: Chryst missed his only shot
- Pitt notebook: Conner quietly surpasses 1,000 yards rushing
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade
- Penn State players regroup amid losing streak
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Play to watch: Colts, Luck like to confuse defenses
- Corbett vows to protect coal industry at Armstrong County rally
- Penn State notebook: Dieffenbach’s season debut remains on hold