Spring training breakdown: Orioles 7, Pirates 6
Don't try it: The Orioles went 0 for 2 on stolen-base attempts against C Russell Martin. In the first inning, Martin got speedy Quintin Berry (2B Michael Martinez tagged him on the leg). In the sixth, Martin threw out pinch-runner Julio Borbon.
Nice D: Henry Urrutia hit a sharp grounder with lots of spin that took an odd hop, but Martinez made a sprawling stop, bounced to his feet and made an accurate throw for the out.
Blown chances: Travis Snider, Travis Ishikawa, Andrew McCutchen and Chris Dickerson went a combined 0 for 4 with the bases loaded.
Stock up: RHP Jay Jackson did well filling in for LHP Jeff Locke (oblique). “As long as they keep giving me the ball, I'm getting a chance,” Jackson said. “As long as I get a chance, I'm going to take advantage of it.”
Stock down: Snider struck out in each of his first two at-bats. In the first inning, he batted with the bases loaded and nobody out and took a called strike three.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UPMC McKeesport president reiterates hospital will remain open
- ‘Last of the downtown mansions’ demolished in McKeesport
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Derry Township assault suspect arrested
- Latrobe’s Ci Medical Technologies transforms to medical device business
- McKeesport man whose dog bit officer waives charges to court
- TSA fee increase this week arrives with load of complaints
- Squirrel Hill street that had been paved getting another pave job
- Dodgers rough up rusty starter Volquez, knock off Pirates at PNC Park
- Clemson’s Stoudt is one of the unheralded ACC QBs trying to break out
- Moody’s downgrades Pa. rating; Corbett ponders pension reform session