Spring training breakdown: Orioles 7, Pirates 6
Don't try it: The Orioles went 0 for 2 on stolen-base attempts against C Russell Martin. In the first inning, Martin got speedy Quintin Berry (2B Michael Martinez tagged him on the leg). In the sixth, Martin threw out pinch-runner Julio Borbon.
Nice D: Henry Urrutia hit a sharp grounder with lots of spin that took an odd hop, but Martinez made a sprawling stop, bounced to his feet and made an accurate throw for the out.
Blown chances: Travis Snider, Travis Ishikawa, Andrew McCutchen and Chris Dickerson went a combined 0 for 4 with the bases loaded.
Stock up: RHP Jay Jackson did well filling in for LHP Jeff Locke (oblique). “As long as they keep giving me the ball, I'm getting a chance,” Jackson said. “As long as I get a chance, I'm going to take advantage of it.”
Stock down: Snider struck out in each of his first two at-bats. In the first inning, he batted with the bases loaded and nobody out and took a called strike three.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 71-year-old among 2 charged in several Pittsburgh area burglaries
- New Kensington residents vent anger at council meeting
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto says new police chief’s skills fit the job well
- Four issues that the Steelers need to take care of in September
- Steel Center celebrates 50 years
- Elizabeth Township Commissioners approve phone system upgrade
- State police probe trooper’s arrest at Pittsburgh wedding
- New Allegheny Valley Joint Sewage Authority manager welcomes challenge
- Lambo no longer in limbo with Pirates
- Wainwright, Cardinals rough up Locke in 6-4 victory over Pirates
- Steelers bracing to face 2 quarterbacks vs. Browns