Spring training breakdown: Orioles 7, Pirates 6
Don't try it: The Orioles went 0 for 2 on stolen-base attempts against C Russell Martin. In the first inning, Martin got speedy Quintin Berry (2B Michael Martinez tagged him on the leg). In the sixth, Martin threw out pinch-runner Julio Borbon.
Nice D: Henry Urrutia hit a sharp grounder with lots of spin that took an odd hop, but Martinez made a sprawling stop, bounced to his feet and made an accurate throw for the out.
Blown chances: Travis Snider, Travis Ishikawa, Andrew McCutchen and Chris Dickerson went a combined 0 for 4 with the bases loaded.
Stock up: RHP Jay Jackson did well filling in for LHP Jeff Locke (oblique). “As long as they keep giving me the ball, I'm getting a chance,” Jackson said. “As long as I get a chance, I'm going to take advantage of it.”
Stock down: Snider struck out in each of his first two at-bats. In the first inning, he batted with the bases loaded and nobody out and took a called strike three.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation small, putting effort into craft, taste
- Newsmaker: Thomas J. Usher
- Allegheny County Council members outspend expense accounts
- Westmoreland prison online visit program delayed again
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- DNA evidence in alleged June 2013 rape leads to Latrobe man’s arrest
- Hempfield killer Stahl ordered to pay for slain wife’s funeral
- Foundation donates $350K to revitalize facades in Downtown Pittsburgh
- School resource officer a sore point between Gateway, Monroeville officials
- Mt. Pleasant residents voice support for Zilli as borough police chief