Spring training breakdown: Orioles 7, Pirates 6
Don't try it: The Orioles went 0 for 2 on stolen-base attempts against C Russell Martin. In the first inning, Martin got speedy Quintin Berry (2B Michael Martinez tagged him on the leg). In the sixth, Martin threw out pinch-runner Julio Borbon.
Nice D: Henry Urrutia hit a sharp grounder with lots of spin that took an odd hop, but Martinez made a sprawling stop, bounced to his feet and made an accurate throw for the out.
Blown chances: Travis Snider, Travis Ishikawa, Andrew McCutchen and Chris Dickerson went a combined 0 for 4 with the bases loaded.
Stock up: RHP Jay Jackson did well filling in for LHP Jeff Locke (oblique). “As long as they keep giving me the ball, I'm getting a chance,” Jackson said. “As long as I get a chance, I'm going to take advantage of it.”
Stock down: Snider struck out in each of his first two at-bats. In the first inning, he batted with the bases loaded and nobody out and took a called strike three.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers hoping that youth movement breathes life into team
- Pittsburgh Brewing tries to reconnect with region, return to glory days
- Pirates’ Worley tosses 4-hit shutout vs. Giants
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Westmoreland women stole thousands to finance dog show appearances
- Inside the ropes: Shazier shows off speed
- Steelers notebook: Team hasn’t called on Keisel, Harrison yet
- Pennsylvania Turnpike Southern Beltway extension gets funding
- Police say naked woman stabs three women during street fight in McKees Rocks
- Steelers linebacker Spence confident he can avoid injury setbacks
- Pa. Congressmen ask NCAA to relax sanctions on Penn State football