Spring training breakdown: Orioles 7, Pirates 6
Don't try it: The Orioles went 0 for 2 on stolen-base attempts against C Russell Martin. In the first inning, Martin got speedy Quintin Berry (2B Michael Martinez tagged him on the leg). In the sixth, Martin threw out pinch-runner Julio Borbon.
Nice D: Henry Urrutia hit a sharp grounder with lots of spin that took an odd hop, but Martinez made a sprawling stop, bounced to his feet and made an accurate throw for the out.
Blown chances: Travis Snider, Travis Ishikawa, Andrew McCutchen and Chris Dickerson went a combined 0 for 4 with the bases loaded.
Stock up: RHP Jay Jackson did well filling in for LHP Jeff Locke (oblique). “As long as they keep giving me the ball, I'm getting a chance,” Jackson said. “As long as I get a chance, I'm going to take advantage of it.”
Stock down: Snider struck out in each of his first two at-bats. In the first inning, he batted with the bases loaded and nobody out and took a called strike three.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- 5 juveniles injured in Washington County crash
- Opening arguments set in Rostraver home invasion case
- Crazy Mocha owner likes comfort, says shrewd decisions foster growth
- BURIED HISTORY
- Military base might be best for Pennsylvania Game Commission’s quail effort
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Living Treasures animal park plans upset Liberty residents
- Upper Tyrone Township Sewage Authority seeks $1.8 million line of credit to pay sewage plant project costs
- Fake urine merchant sentenced to probation in Pittsburgh court
- American players enjoying fanfare after World Cup victory