Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Twins 4
Laser show: Twins first baseman Joe Mauer caught up with Gerrit Cole's 96 mph fastball, buzzing Cole with a line drive up the middle in the first inning. Cole likely would not force-feed Mauer fastballs during the regular season.
Big shot: Pedro Alvarez launched his second home run of the spring to deep right-center field off Twins starter Kevin Correia. The ball bounced off the concourse at Hammond Stadium, estimated at 430 feet from home plate.
Dealing: Cole allowed one run — it was unearned — on three hits and a walk over three innings.
Stock up: Travis Ishikawa improved his stock with a home run to center and a walk.
Stock down: Jake Brigham allowed a two-run homer to Chris Colabello in his two innings of work.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Spaling, Penguins agree to $4.4 million deal
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Greensburg man sentenced for heroin sales
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- EPA talks on pollution limits trigger protests, arrests Downtown
- Zappala disputes public safety director’s statement on police ID policy
- NFL notebook: Ravens RB Rice calls actions ‘totally inexcusable’
- It’s lights out for Bayer sign on Mt. Washington
- Shooting investigation leads to large marijuana grow in Monessen