Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Twins 4
Laser show: Twins first baseman Joe Mauer caught up with Gerrit Cole's 96 mph fastball, buzzing Cole with a line drive up the middle in the first inning. Cole likely would not force-feed Mauer fastballs during the regular season.
Big shot: Pedro Alvarez launched his second home run of the spring to deep right-center field off Twins starter Kevin Correia. The ball bounced off the concourse at Hammond Stadium, estimated at 430 feet from home plate.
Dealing: Cole allowed one run — it was unearned — on three hits and a walk over three innings.
Stock up: Travis Ishikawa improved his stock with a home run to center and a walk.
Stock down: Jake Brigham allowed a two-run homer to Chris Colabello in his two innings of work.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Regulators release details of Highmark’s post-UPMC transition plan
- Pittsburgh hires consultant, former Wisconsin police captain as chief
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Tomlin: Steelers preparing to face both Browns QBs
- TED Talks event to appeal to Pittsburgh millennials
- Compelling cases exist for cashing out, staying in as stock market soars
- More pipelines proposed to carry Marcellus gas to southeast markets
- Bethel Park mortgage broker pleads guilty