Spring training breakdown: Pirates 6, Phillies 5
Phillies starter:RHP Jeff Manship
Pirates starter:RHP Brandon Cumpton
Big shot: Andrew McCutchen ripped his third homer of the spring in the first inning off of Phillies starter Jeff Manship.
Going the other way: Phillies' Ryan Howard lifted an opposite-field home run off of the Pirates' Jay Jackson in the sixth inning.
Dealing: Cumpton threw four innings and allowed two runs. He induced 10 groundouts against one fly out.
Stock down: Tony Sanchez had some throwing issues last season in Triple-A. He began Friday's game with a throwing error in the first inning.
Stock up:Travis Snider went 2 for 3 with a double, strengthening his case for the right-field job.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Americans detained in North Korea call for US help
- Baldwin native McNulty’s storied legal career leads to Grove City post