Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Orioles 7 (10 innings)
Good starts: The leadoff hitter for each team smacked a home run in the first inning. Starling Marte drove the second pitch of the game over the wall in center field. Nick Markakis went deep to left for his first homer of the spring.
Big hit: Jordy Mercer broke a 3-3 tie in the sixth by hitting a two-run double that landed at the base of the center field wall.
Count confusion: In the eighth inning, Robert Andino went to first base after what the home plate umpire thought was ball four. After Orioles manager Buck Showalter went out to argue, the umps huddled and called Andino back to the plate. He fouled off a pitch, then drew an actual ball four.
Stock up: Marte hit the ball hard in two at-bats, and came up a couple of feet shy of homering again in the sixth inning. He also got a standing ovation from Orioles fans after making a fantastic, diving catch of Jemile Weeks' liner.
Stock down: Gerrit Cole served up three home runs in a game for the first time since ... um, ever, maybe? Chris Davis lobbed an opposite-field blast to left and Ryan Flaherty's two-run shot traveled a long way to center field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- Pittsburgh police doubling up on duty after potential threats
- Renowned strength coach set to visit Kittanning
- Steelers-Bengals game to start at 8:30 p.m.
- Allegheny County district attorney prosecutors move on to state office
- Heyward, swarming defense get best of Chiefs in Steelers’ win
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Steelers notebook: Gay respects ‘anything’ referees call
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins