Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Orioles 7 (10 innings)
Good starts: The leadoff hitter for each team smacked a home run in the first inning. Starling Marte drove the second pitch of the game over the wall in center field. Nick Markakis went deep to left for his first homer of the spring.
Big hit: Jordy Mercer broke a 3-3 tie in the sixth by hitting a two-run double that landed at the base of the center field wall.
Count confusion: In the eighth inning, Robert Andino went to first base after what the home plate umpire thought was ball four. After Orioles manager Buck Showalter went out to argue, the umps huddled and called Andino back to the plate. He fouled off a pitch, then drew an actual ball four.
Stock up: Marte hit the ball hard in two at-bats, and came up a couple of feet shy of homering again in the sixth inning. He also got a standing ovation from Orioles fans after making a fantastic, diving catch of Jemile Weeks' liner.
Stock down: Gerrit Cole served up three home runs in a game for the first time since ... um, ever, maybe? Chris Davis lobbed an opposite-field blast to left and Ryan Flaherty's two-run shot traveled a long way to center field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers running back blunt about focusing on football
- Steelers have plenty of new faces at wide receiver
- Previewing Week 1 high school football matchups
- Steelers are on fast track in NFL
- Why Steelers will — or won’t — snap out of their funk
- Pirates down Cardinals, inch closer in wild-card chase
- I-79 paving to close ramps in Collier, Robinson
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- Inbound Liberty Tunnel closed
- Cardinals’ Fitzgerald feels best days aren’t behind him
- Pitt coordinator House rebuilds defense with depth