Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Phillies 0
Laser show: Batting cleanup, Russell Martin ripped a double down the left-field line to score Andrew McCutchen in the sixth inning for the game's first score. Martin looks poised for a better offensive year, batting .351 this spring.
Dealing: Charlie Morton's sinker was in midseason form. The right-hander allowed just one hit over three shutout innings. His sinker generated swings and misses and groundballs.
Stock up: Bryan Morris' stuff has been consistently impressive. Morris got Cody Asche to strikeout in the sixth with back-to-back whiffs on a 95 mph two-seam fastball and a 91 mph cutter.
Stock down: In his last work of the spring, Pirates closer Jason Grilli's fastball was between 91 and 92 mph Friday. The 37-year-old's fastball averaged 93.5 mph last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Closer seats don’t sit well with some fliers
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Penn State notebook: Franklin: Nittany Lions’ ‘healthy’ going into Week 2
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- NFL notebook: Broncos WR Welker suspended 4 games
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Pitt football notebook: Ohio offensive lineman verbally commits to Pitt
- $1.4B penalty urged in gas blast
- Princeton, worker seek solution on medical marijuana use on the job