Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Phillies 0
Laser show: Batting cleanup, Russell Martin ripped a double down the left-field line to score Andrew McCutchen in the sixth inning for the game's first score. Martin looks poised for a better offensive year, batting .351 this spring.
Dealing: Charlie Morton's sinker was in midseason form. The right-hander allowed just one hit over three shutout innings. His sinker generated swings and misses and groundballs.
Stock up: Bryan Morris' stuff has been consistently impressive. Morris got Cody Asche to strikeout in the sixth with back-to-back whiffs on a 95 mph two-seam fastball and a 91 mph cutter.
Stock down: In his last work of the spring, Pirates closer Jason Grilli's fastball was between 91 and 92 mph Friday. The 37-year-old's fastball averaged 93.5 mph last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greek debt fears, surge in dollar nip at stock market
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- Rayburn offering tax breaks to businesses along 2 roads
- Dayton man charged with stabbing friend
- E. Allegheny teachers silent about finding
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto in Cuba on manufacturing trade mission
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role
- UPMC offering buyouts to 3,500 employees in cost-cutting move
- 3 men arrested in cellphone heist in Frazer