Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Phillies 0
Laser show: Batting cleanup, Russell Martin ripped a double down the left-field line to score Andrew McCutchen in the sixth inning for the game's first score. Martin looks poised for a better offensive year, batting .351 this spring.
Dealing: Charlie Morton's sinker was in midseason form. The right-hander allowed just one hit over three shutout innings. His sinker generated swings and misses and groundballs.
Stock up: Bryan Morris' stuff has been consistently impressive. Morris got Cody Asche to strikeout in the sixth with back-to-back whiffs on a 95 mph two-seam fastball and a 91 mph cutter.
Stock down: In his last work of the spring, Pirates closer Jason Grilli's fastball was between 91 and 92 mph Friday. The 37-year-old's fastball averaged 93.5 mph last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Car wash explosion, fire injures 2 in McDonald
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Police investigate alleged institutional sexual assault at Pine youth treatment center
- Banged-up Steelers can clinch with win over Chiefs
- Warning about cop-killer came moments too late
- Energy sector adjusts to global oil plummet
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Kids treated to gifts, peaceful holiday party at Lincoln-Lemington church
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job