Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Phillies 0
Laser show: Batting cleanup, Russell Martin ripped a double down the left-field line to score Andrew McCutchen in the sixth inning for the game's first score. Martin looks poised for a better offensive year, batting .351 this spring.
Dealing: Charlie Morton's sinker was in midseason form. The right-hander allowed just one hit over three shutout innings. His sinker generated swings and misses and groundballs.
Stock up: Bryan Morris' stuff has been consistently impressive. Morris got Cody Asche to strikeout in the sixth with back-to-back whiffs on a 95 mph two-seam fastball and a 91 mph cutter.
Stock down: In his last work of the spring, Pirates closer Jason Grilli's fastball was between 91 and 92 mph Friday. The 37-year-old's fastball averaged 93.5 mph last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With Malkin out, Penguins fall to Flyers, 4-1
- Former Plum teacher says he warned district about possible inappropriate conduct
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Pirates notebook: Richard doesn’t exercise opt-out clause in contract
- Pirates’ McCutchen leaves game early, says he is not hurt
- Pirates planning on maximizing the versatility of Rodriguez
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers
- Jefferson Hospital flag-raising kicks off Donate Life Month
- Wines claimed to be toxic with arsenic won’t be pulled by state Liquor Control Board
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying
- 2 Western Pennsylvania veterans’ suicides raise questions