Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Phillies 0
Laser show: Batting cleanup, Russell Martin ripped a double down the left-field line to score Andrew McCutchen in the sixth inning for the game's first score. Martin looks poised for a better offensive year, batting .351 this spring.
Dealing: Charlie Morton's sinker was in midseason form. The right-hander allowed just one hit over three shutout innings. His sinker generated swings and misses and groundballs.
Stock up: Bryan Morris' stuff has been consistently impressive. Morris got Cody Asche to strikeout in the sixth with back-to-back whiffs on a 95 mph two-seam fastball and a 91 mph cutter.
Stock down: In his last work of the spring, Pirates closer Jason Grilli's fastball was between 91 and 92 mph Friday. The 37-year-old's fastball averaged 93.5 mph last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn Hills superintendent resigns
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci commits to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for Penn State
- Mt. Lebanon board awards contract to trap, euthanize deer
- Leader Times roundup: Snow postponements piling up, 7 games rescheduled
- NFL notebook: Patriots employee under scrutiny in underinflated footballs probe
- Three arrested in armed robbery in Lawrenceville
- Christian day camp in Somerset County sued over sexual assault
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Funeral for Joey Fabus, honorary Bethel Park police officer, draws crowd