Power snap 7-game losing streak
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In Tampa, Fla., Shane Austin threw four touchdown passes and rushed for two scores, leading the Pittsburgh Power (4-13) to a 48-37 victory against the Tampa Bay Storm (7-10) and snapping a seven-game losing streak.
The Storm have lost six in a row, yet clinched a playoff berth Saturday night.
Austin threw two TD passes apiece to Tyrone Collins and Mike Washington, who has a receiving touchdown in his past 15 games. Austin, making his second consecutive start, was not intercepted but did lose a fumble.
Offensive coordinator Jon Lyles was not with the team. Power coach Derek Stingley said Lyles was not fired, and he said he had “no reason” for excusing him Saturday.
“I just decided to call plays this week,” said Stingley, who fired former offensive coordinator Mike Tomczak earlier this season.
Stingley added that Lyles will return to the team Friday night in Spokane, Wash., for the final game of the season.
When asked if Lyles will be with the team in 2014, Stingley said there will be an evaluation of the entire coaching staff at the end of the season.
Lyles has been a football coach for 15 years, chiefly with indoor teams.
Pittsburgh (4-13) is the lowest-scoring team in the Arena Football League, averaging 40.1 points per game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Turnpike employees disciplined over sexually explicit emails
- Google lunar contest: Pittsburgh team unveils rover
- Two judges with Pittsburgh ties announce candidacies for Pa. Supreme Court
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Attorney: Ferguson grand jury has reached decision
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- High winds knock out power, injure man at Cranberry construction site
- Bunny Mellon auction fetches $218 million
- New Kensington-Arnold employee suspended over alleged inappropriate contact with student
- 4 injured when vehicles collide, car plows into North Huntingdon auto body shop
- Butler Township man in jail after reportedly holding woman at gunpoint