McGinley named Europe's 2014 Ryder Cup captain
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — Paul McGinley is Europe's captain for the 2014 Ryder Cup.
The Northern Irishman defeated Colin Montgomerie in a vote of the European PGA Tour's tournament committee Tuesday afternoon in Abu Dhabi.
McGinley received the backing of some of the continent's biggest names, including top-ranked Rory McIlroy and third-ranked Luke Donald.
Darren Clarke pulled out of the running for the position, preferring to concentrate on his own game. That left Montgomerie to provide a late challenge to McGinley.
Montgomerie was captain for the 2010 match against the United States at Celtic Manor, Wales.
Europe will defend the trophy at Gleneagles, Scotland, after rallying past the U.S. in October at Medinah, near Chicago.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liberian families in Western Pa. fret over Ebola virus outbreak
- Steelers’ Blake prefers secondary job
- Greensburg Central Catholic graduate returns as staffer
- Eastern Derry VFD closes
- Rivals try to block Uber, Lyft in Pittsburgh
- Spill closes Mon/Fayette Expressway
- More charges filed against Monessen marijuana growers
- Fabregas: Physicians embrace fist bump over handshake in hospital
- Power receiver’s goals have special ring
- Rise in pickup truck sales a good sign for economy
- Wiz Khalifa gets fans fired up for new album in First Niagara show