McGinley named Europe's 2014 Ryder Cup captain
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — Paul McGinley is Europe's captain for the 2014 Ryder Cup.
The Northern Irishman defeated Colin Montgomerie in a vote of the European PGA Tour's tournament committee Tuesday afternoon in Abu Dhabi.
McGinley received the backing of some of the continent's biggest names, including top-ranked Rory McIlroy and third-ranked Luke Donald.
Darren Clarke pulled out of the running for the position, preferring to concentrate on his own game. That left Montgomerie to provide a late challenge to McGinley.
Montgomerie was captain for the 2010 match against the United States at Celtic Manor, Wales.
Europe will defend the trophy at Gleneagles, Scotland, after rallying past the U.S. in October at Medinah, near Chicago.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Identity of Route 30 suicide victim revealed
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- Hornqvist’s net-front presence with Penguins could be valuable asset
- North Versailles couple faults construction company for damage to property
- Penguins a love affair for Evancho sisters
- Schultz ousted as Trafford council president
- Charleroi Area ‘should’ be better in 2015
- Planned Uptown revival priority for City of Pittsburgh
- Arrivals from Paris soon will avoid extra screening at Pittsburgh International
- Controversial McKeesport building destroyed by fire
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health