McGinley named Europe's 2014 Ryder Cup captain
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — Paul McGinley is Europe's captain for the 2014 Ryder Cup.
The Northern Irishman defeated Colin Montgomerie in a vote of the European PGA Tour's tournament committee Tuesday afternoon in Abu Dhabi.
McGinley received the backing of some of the continent's biggest names, including top-ranked Rory McIlroy and third-ranked Luke Donald.
Darren Clarke pulled out of the running for the position, preferring to concentrate on his own game. That left Montgomerie to provide a late challenge to McGinley.
Montgomerie was captain for the 2010 match against the United States at Celtic Manor, Wales.
Europe will defend the trophy at Gleneagles, Scotland, after rallying past the U.S. in October at Medinah, near Chicago.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- LCB, Duquesne University police recover rare bourbon in illegal sale
- Beloved North Side gardener gets new truck, paid for by her neighbors
- Kennametal plans plant closings, job cuts in fallout from oil and gas decline
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- 3 in Westmoreland charged in painkiller ring
- Rossi: In Super city, everything but football matters
- Driver leaps from sliding truck just before it topples down hillside in Fawn
- Pitt’s 2015 schedule includes 5 road games in 1st 7 games
- Heyl: Ice-covered anomaly floating in the Allegheny River presents mystery
- Slumping Pitt keeps chin up