McGinley named Europe's 2014 Ryder Cup captain
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — Paul McGinley is Europe's captain for the 2014 Ryder Cup.
The Northern Irishman defeated Colin Montgomerie in a vote of the European PGA Tour's tournament committee Tuesday afternoon in Abu Dhabi.
McGinley received the backing of some of the continent's biggest names, including top-ranked Rory McIlroy and third-ranked Luke Donald.
Darren Clarke pulled out of the running for the position, preferring to concentrate on his own game. That left Montgomerie to provide a late challenge to McGinley.
Montgomerie was captain for the 2010 match against the United States at Celtic Manor, Wales.
Europe will defend the trophy at Gleneagles, Scotland, after rallying past the U.S. in October at Medinah, near Chicago.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Fatal crash closes Flight 93 chapel in Somerset County
- Pitt plays best game of the season; routs Kansas State
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Families welcome new members on Adoption Day in Westmoreland County
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Trib kicks off annual effort to help feed families for Christmas
- State officials prompt UPMC, Highmark to go to mediation to resolve Medicare dispute
- Food drive volunteer in Westmoreland County has purse stolen
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’