McGinley named Europe's 2014 Ryder Cup captain
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — Paul McGinley is Europe's captain for the 2014 Ryder Cup.
The Northern Irishman defeated Colin Montgomerie in a vote of the European PGA Tour's tournament committee Tuesday afternoon in Abu Dhabi.
McGinley received the backing of some of the continent's biggest names, including top-ranked Rory McIlroy and third-ranked Luke Donald.
Darren Clarke pulled out of the running for the position, preferring to concentrate on his own game. That left Montgomerie to provide a late challenge to McGinley.
Montgomerie was captain for the 2010 match against the United States at Celtic Manor, Wales.
Europe will defend the trophy at Gleneagles, Scotland, after rallying past the U.S. in October at Medinah, near Chicago.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Perryopolis man killed in 1-car crash
- Lopsided loss to Eagles shows Steelers have issues aplenty
- Unusually cold winter, spring reduces population of Western Pa. stink bugs
- Hero Franklin Regional security guard out of work
- Steelers notebook: Keisel always hoped to return
- Rossi: Time with Penguins taught Bylsma importance of stability
- Woman in stable condition after Hill District shooting that killed daughter
- Records: Steelers RB Bell admitted smoking pot before traffic stop but denied being high
- Harrison’s 5 RBIs help Pirates pound Brewers
- Stocks snap 4-day rally on Yellen speech, Russia-Ukraine developments
- Labor board’s subpoenas in UPMC case are not relevant, federal judge says