Golfer Singh admits using deer-antler spray
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Vijay Singh said he has used deer-antler spray and wasn't aware that it may contain a substance banned by the PGA Tour.
The 49-year-old Fijian first revealed he used the spray in an interview with Sports Illustrated. The magazine said Singh paid one of Sports With Alternatives To Steroids' owners $9,000 last November for the spray, hologram chips and other products.
The magazine also reported Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis sought help from SWATS in his recovery from a torn right triceps.
The company saidits deer-antler substance contains a banned performance-enhancer connected to human growth hormone.
Singh released a statement Wednesday at the Phoenix Open.
“While I have used deer-antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA Tour Anti-Doping Policy,” Singh said in the statement.
“In fact, when I first received the product, I reviewed the list of ingredients and did not see any prohibited substances. I am absolutely shocked that deer-antler spray may contain a banned substance and am angry that I have put myself in this position. I have been in contact with the PGA Tour and am cooperating fully with their review of this matter. I will not be commenting further at this time.”
PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said the tour is “looking into the matter.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers clinch playoff berth with win over Chiefs
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Groom cited at Farmington wedding reception being filmed for reality TV show
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Outdoor notices: Dec. 22, 2014
- Car wash explosion, fire injures 2 in McDonald
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Police investigate alleged institutional sexual assault at Pine youth treatment center
- South Fayette football team distributes Steelers tickets to Carlynton, Wilkinsburg