Golfer Singh admits using deer-antler spray
By The Associated Press
Published: Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013, 2:22 p.m.
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Vijay Singh said he has used deer-antler spray and wasn't aware that it may contain a substance banned by the PGA Tour.
The 49-year-old Fijian first revealed he used the spray in an interview with Sports Illustrated. The magazine said Singh paid one of Sports With Alternatives To Steroids' owners $9,000 last November for the spray, hologram chips and other products.
The magazine also reported Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis sought help from SWATS in his recovery from a torn right triceps.
The company saidits deer-antler substance contains a banned performance-enhancer connected to human growth hormone.
Singh released a statement Wednesday at the Phoenix Open.
“While I have used deer-antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA Tour Anti-Doping Policy,” Singh said in the statement.
“In fact, when I first received the product, I reviewed the list of ingredients and did not see any prohibited substances. I am absolutely shocked that deer-antler spray may contain a banned substance and am angry that I have put myself in this position. I have been in contact with the PGA Tour and am cooperating fully with their review of this matter. I will not be commenting further at this time.”
PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said the tour is “looking into the matter.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Knife incident on bus gives Connellsville Area School District pause
- Penguins’ Bylsma wants Cup version of Letang
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Road work to cause lane closures in Mt. Lebanon starting Monday.
- Orpik: Penguins must keep their cool
- Latrobe woman texts searchers in Linn Run State Park to tell them she’s OK
- ‘We Are FR’ fund going strong
- York teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Rossi: Pens sticking to power-play plan
- Cyrus’ rescheduled U.S. tour now includes Pittsburgh stop in August
- Power lineman predicts win over 2-time defending AFL champion