Golfer Singh admits using deer-antler spray
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Vijay Singh said he has used deer-antler spray and wasn't aware that it may contain a substance banned by the PGA Tour.
The 49-year-old Fijian first revealed he used the spray in an interview with Sports Illustrated. The magazine said Singh paid one of Sports With Alternatives To Steroids' owners $9,000 last November for the spray, hologram chips and other products.
The magazine also reported Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis sought help from SWATS in his recovery from a torn right triceps.
The company saidits deer-antler substance contains a banned performance-enhancer connected to human growth hormone.
Singh released a statement Wednesday at the Phoenix Open.
“While I have used deer-antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA Tour Anti-Doping Policy,” Singh said in the statement.
“In fact, when I first received the product, I reviewed the list of ingredients and did not see any prohibited substances. I am absolutely shocked that deer-antler spray may contain a banned substance and am angry that I have put myself in this position. I have been in contact with the PGA Tour and am cooperating fully with their review of this matter. I will not be commenting further at this time.”
PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said the tour is “looking into the matter.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Southmoreland directors to seek loan info from banks as state budget impasse continues
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Youthful East Allegheny girls soccer moving in right direction
- Rep. Stefano’s 6th coffee conversation centers on budget impasse, taxes
- Connellsville Chamber to honor Falcon Foundation, which helps district students, at Gatsby gala Oct. 24
- LaBar: Why NXT shouldn’t be compared to RAW
- Charleroi deals with more road problems
- Roaches troubling to Donora residents
- Clairton man arrested on drug, weapon charges
- Manor Township considers tax break
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense