Golfer Singh admits using deer-antler spray
By The Associated Press
Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 2:22 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 31, 2013
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Vijay Singh said he has used deer-antler spray and wasn't aware that it may contain a substance banned by the PGA Tour.
The 49-year-old Fijian first revealed he used the spray in an interview with Sports Illustrated. The magazine said Singh paid one of Sports With Alternatives To Steroids' owners $9,000 last November for the spray, hologram chips and other products.
The magazine also reported Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis sought help from SWATS in his recovery from a torn right triceps.
The company saidits deer-antler substance contains a banned performance-enhancer connected to human growth hormone.
Singh released a statement Wednesday at the Phoenix Open.
“While I have used deer-antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA Tour Anti-Doping Policy,” Singh said in the statement.
“In fact, when I first received the product, I reviewed the list of ingredients and did not see any prohibited substances. I am absolutely shocked that deer-antler spray may contain a banned substance and am angry that I have put myself in this position. I have been in contact with the PGA Tour and am cooperating fully with their review of this matter. I will not be commenting further at this time.”
PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said the tour is “looking into the matter.”
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Penguins notebook: Bylsma likes response to adversity
- Wounded veteran gets mortgage-free Dormont house
- Former Jeannette hospital attracts Calif. buyer
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Former Speaker DeWeese expected to remain in prison
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.