Golfer Singh admits using deer-antler spray
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Vijay Singh said he has used deer-antler spray and wasn't aware that it may contain a substance banned by the PGA Tour.
The 49-year-old Fijian first revealed he used the spray in an interview with Sports Illustrated. The magazine said Singh paid one of Sports With Alternatives To Steroids' owners $9,000 last November for the spray, hologram chips and other products.
The magazine also reported Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis sought help from SWATS in his recovery from a torn right triceps.
The company saidits deer-antler substance contains a banned performance-enhancer connected to human growth hormone.
Singh released a statement Wednesday at the Phoenix Open.
“While I have used deer-antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA Tour Anti-Doping Policy,” Singh said in the statement.
“In fact, when I first received the product, I reviewed the list of ingredients and did not see any prohibited substances. I am absolutely shocked that deer-antler spray may contain a banned substance and am angry that I have put myself in this position. I have been in contact with the PGA Tour and am cooperating fully with their review of this matter. I will not be commenting further at this time.”
PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said the tour is “looking into the matter.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Judge lets New Kensington Ten Commandments monument stand
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense
- Consol takes $603 million loss in second quarter
- Steelers notebook: Backup QB Gradkowski remains out with shoulder issue
- Rising East Liberty out of reach for Pittsburgh’s poor
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Leisure, hospitality lead Pittsburgh area job gains
- Watering garden right during summer’s high temperatures makes difference
- Dollars and sense: High cost of child care keeps many out of work force
- Ownerless emu finds ‘buddy’ at new Greensburg home