Golfer Singh admits using deer-antler spray
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Vijay Singh said he has used deer-antler spray and wasn't aware that it may contain a substance banned by the PGA Tour.
The 49-year-old Fijian first revealed he used the spray in an interview with Sports Illustrated. The magazine said Singh paid one of Sports With Alternatives To Steroids' owners $9,000 last November for the spray, hologram chips and other products.
The magazine also reported Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis sought help from SWATS in his recovery from a torn right triceps.
The company saidits deer-antler substance contains a banned performance-enhancer connected to human growth hormone.
Singh released a statement Wednesday at the Phoenix Open.
“While I have used deer-antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA Tour Anti-Doping Policy,” Singh said in the statement.
“In fact, when I first received the product, I reviewed the list of ingredients and did not see any prohibited substances. I am absolutely shocked that deer-antler spray may contain a banned substance and am angry that I have put myself in this position. I have been in contact with the PGA Tour and am cooperating fully with their review of this matter. I will not be commenting further at this time.”
PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said the tour is “looking into the matter.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers sign former star LB Harrison; Tomlin talks ‘different climate’
- Steelers’ Taylor recovering from forearm surgery
- Cranberry police trying to ID repeat burglary suspect
- Experts weighing in on how to fight Pa.’s heroin problem
- West Virginia notebook: Holgorsen likes energy level as Mountaineers head into bye week
- Jury acquits Stowe man of charges related to bar shooting
- Attorney general rejects Tribune-Review request for ‘racy’ emails
- Port Authority: Drivers ‘reckless’ before buses bumped, wrecking 1
- Pittsburgh teacher accused of choking, pushing student acquitted
- Steelers defense must replace 3 injured starters after victory
- State Sen. Jim Ferlo: ‘I’m gay. Get over it. I love it’