Snedeker victorious at Pebble Beach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. — With one last birdie, Brandt Snedeker finally had a chance to catch his breath at one of the best places in golf.
In his past nine tournaments, he has six finishes in the top three, including back-to-back weeks as the runner-up to Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods.
Snedeker wasn't about to let anyone get in his way at the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am.
“Just hard to put into words, to have a stretch of golf like I had the last couple of months,” Snedeker said after his two-shot win. “I'm really enjoying this, and hopefully can parlay this into the best year of my career.”
He was the best all week at Pebble Beach, finishing at 19-under-par 267 to break by one shot the tournament record.
Snedeker built his lead in the final round by playing the opening seven holes in 5 under, fired at the flag on the par-3 17th to set up his last birdie and closed with a 7-under 65, his 10th consecutive round in the 60s.
A tap-in par on the 18th gave him a two-shot win over Chris Kirk, who stayed in the hunt all day without ever putting too much pressure on Snedeker.
The hottest player in golf, Snedeker finally has a trophy to show for it.
“The last two weeks, playing great but running into two Hall of Famers, really motivated me to go out and prove that I can handle the lead,” he said.
With his fourth win in the past 22 months, Snedeker improved to a career-best No. 4 in the world, the second-highest American in the world ranking behind Woods.
“Sneds is officially the best golfer on the planet right now,” Ian Poulter tweeted. “Some serious golf he is playing.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inside the ropes: Shazier shows off speed
- Steelers hope new faces breathe life into team
- Grand jury report says Western Psych failed to cooperate with police
- Steelers notebook: Team hasn’t called on Keisel, Harrison yet
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Killer sharks are taking over the air, and the airwaves
- Westmoreland women stole thousands to finance dog show appearances, police say
- Sewickley Township man got food stamps, $206K in gas well royalties, investigators say
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- Police say naked woman stabs three women during street fight in McKees Rocks
- NFL notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders picks Manning over Big Ben