Players notebook: Castro follows 63 with 78
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Roberto Castro's stay atop the leaderboard at The Players was short-lived.
The 27-year-old Castro, who shot 9-under-par Thursday, followed the round of his life with one to forget. He shot 6-over 78 in the second round Friday and dropped into a tie for 29th.
Despite the stumble, his outlook remained positive.
“I wouldn't have been embarrassed or felt bad or anything if I would have shot two 76s this week,” Castro said. “It's a hard golf course. I'm 3-under-par and beating 110 of the best players in the world through 36 holes. So I just kept telling myself, ‘It's not easy, it's not easy, it's not easy.' ”
• Eleven former major winners, including Vijay Singh, headed home after missing the cut. Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Ernie Els, Graeme McDowell, Lucas Glover, Stewart Cink, Geoff Ogilvy, David Toms, Keegan Bradley and Y.E. Yang joined Singh in getting the weekend off.
• The PGA Tour's longest active streak of cuts ended Friday when Billy Horschel put two balls in the water on No. 18. Horschel had made 23 consecutive cuts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn Hills superintendent resigns
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci commits to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for Penn State
- Mt. Lebanon board awards contract to trap, euthanize deer
- Leader Times roundup: Snow postponements piling up, 7 games rescheduled
- Funeral for Joey Fabus, honorary Bethel Park police officer, draws crowd
- Christian day camp in Somerset County sued over sexual assault
- NFL notebook: Patriots employee under scrutiny in underinflated footballs probe
- Teen found in Riverview Park last year died of overdose
- Three arrested in armed robbery in Lawrenceville