Players notebook: Castro follows 63 with 78
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Roberto Castro's stay atop the leaderboard at The Players was short-lived.
The 27-year-old Castro, who shot 9-under-par Thursday, followed the round of his life with one to forget. He shot 6-over 78 in the second round Friday and dropped into a tie for 29th.
Despite the stumble, his outlook remained positive.
“I wouldn't have been embarrassed or felt bad or anything if I would have shot two 76s this week,” Castro said. “It's a hard golf course. I'm 3-under-par and beating 110 of the best players in the world through 36 holes. So I just kept telling myself, ‘It's not easy, it's not easy, it's not easy.' ”
• Eleven former major winners, including Vijay Singh, headed home after missing the cut. Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Ernie Els, Graeme McDowell, Lucas Glover, Stewart Cink, Geoff Ogilvy, David Toms, Keegan Bradley and Y.E. Yang joined Singh in getting the weekend off.
• The PGA Tour's longest active streak of cuts ended Friday whenBilly Horschel put two balls in the water on No. 18. Horschel had made 23 consecutive cuts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- NFL notebook: Seahawks activate cornerback Lane
- Michigan State humbles Penn State in finale
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Offense continues to click as Panthers hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Penguins’ Johnston agrees with Dubinsky suspension
- Road Trip! Destination: Bardstown, Ky.
- Exhibits celebrate Pittsburgh artist Haskell’s works
- Steelers remain cautious of Seattle QB Wilson on ground, through air
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Leechburg woman’s Pajama Project helps clothe kids in need