Players notebook: Castro follows 63 with 78
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Roberto Castro's stay atop the leaderboard at The Players was short-lived.
The 27-year-old Castro, who shot 9-under-par Thursday, followed the round of his life with one to forget. He shot 6-over 78 in the second round Friday and dropped into a tie for 29th.
Despite the stumble, his outlook remained positive.
“I wouldn't have been embarrassed or felt bad or anything if I would have shot two 76s this week,” Castro said. “It's a hard golf course. I'm 3-under-par and beating 110 of the best players in the world through 36 holes. So I just kept telling myself, ‘It's not easy, it's not easy, it's not easy.' ”
• Eleven former major winners, including Vijay Singh, headed home after missing the cut. Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Ernie Els, Graeme McDowell, Lucas Glover, Stewart Cink, Geoff Ogilvy, David Toms, Keegan Bradley and Y.E. Yang joined Singh in getting the weekend off.
• The PGA Tour's longest active streak of cuts ended Friday whenBilly Horschel put two balls in the water on No. 18. Horschel had made 23 consecutive cuts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Steelers still knockin’ on Canton’s door
- Pitcher Arrieta, Cubs shut down Pirates in victory at PNC Park
- Heyward-Bey looks to make impact on special teams with Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Spaeth on baby watch
- Catching on: Jeannette grad Pryor making progress with transition to receiver
- Philanthropist and one-time GOP powerhouse Elsie Hillman dies at 89
- Pa. hospital association says Wolf’s proposed tax hike would hit hard
- Murrysville oncologist says he had necessary permits to hunt, kill lion
- N.C. State was best fit for former Lincoln Park star Rowan
- Former Lower Burrell couple to stand trial for animal cruelty
- Lone robber holds up Vanderbilt store