Players notebook: Castro follows 63 with 78
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Roberto Castro's stay atop the leaderboard at The Players was short-lived.
The 27-year-old Castro, who shot 9-under-par Thursday, followed the round of his life with one to forget. He shot 6-over 78 in the second round Friday and dropped into a tie for 29th.
Despite the stumble, his outlook remained positive.
“I wouldn't have been embarrassed or felt bad or anything if I would have shot two 76s this week,” Castro said. “It's a hard golf course. I'm 3-under-par and beating 110 of the best players in the world through 36 holes. So I just kept telling myself, ‘It's not easy, it's not easy, it's not easy.' ”
• Eleven former major winners, including Vijay Singh, headed home after missing the cut. Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Ernie Els, Graeme McDowell, Lucas Glover, Stewart Cink, Geoff Ogilvy, David Toms, Keegan Bradley and Y.E. Yang joined Singh in getting the weekend off.
• The PGA Tour's longest active streak of cuts ended Friday when Billy Horschel put two balls in the water on No. 18. Horschel had made 23 consecutive cuts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In Steelers-Saints game, all eyes on Brown-Lewis matchup
- Salvation Army in W.Pa. uses social media campaign
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Hunting creates strong bonds, traditions
- Williams tosses 6 TDs as Clairton sets state scoring record
- Sloppy Penguins fall to Hurricanes
- Thousands attend Vandergrift Light-Up Night, Christmas parade
- Trib real estate writer Spatter ‘worked right to the end’
- No decision yet on charges against elderly driver who struck and killed pregnant woman
- McKeesport’s Minerva’s Bakery to be featured on Sebak’s documentary
- Hempfield Area High School senior Richason creates Before I Die wall in Greensburg