Golf roundup: Jennifer Johnson wins first LPGA title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
MOBILE, Ala. — Jennifer Johnson won the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic on Sunday for her first tour title, birdieing four of the final six holes for a one-stroke victory over Jessica Korda and Pornagong Phatlum.
The 21-year-old American closed with her second straight 7-under-par 65 for a tournament-record 21-under 267 total on The Crossings course at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail's Magnolia Grove complex. She two-putted for par on the final hole, tipped her cap and headed toward the practice range in case of a playoff.
But Phatlum was already done, and the lead was safe even with Korda's closing birdie. Phatlum, a 23-year-old from Thailand, closed with a 63. Her previous best finish was third at the Kia Classic.
Korda finished with a 68 that included three bogeys and seven birdies.
European PGA Tour
In Kavarna, Bulgaria, Graeme McDowell made amends for last year's defeat to capture the World Match-Play Championship, defeating Thailand's Thongchai Jaidee, 2 and 1, in the final on the Thracian Cliffs course.
The 2010 U.S. Open champion fought back from 2 down after four holes and only edged in front of his 43-year-old opponent on the 14th hole before securing the victory at the 17th.
It was McDowell's second win in three events after he also captured the PGA Tour's RBC Heritage earlier this month at Hilton Head, S.C.
“It's been a nice day and nice to receive a great trophy,” McDowell said. “We have talked all week about the prestige of this event and how many great champions have won this tournament, and it's just nice to add my name to that list of legends.”
McDowell moved to the top of the European PGA Tour money list and will move up one place to No. 7 in the world rankings.
• In Santo Antonio da Serra, Portugal, American Peter Uihlein won the Madeira Islands Open in his 16th European PGA Tour start for his first professional title, closing with a 4-under 68 for a two-stroke victory. Uihlein, the former Oklahoma State star who won the 2010 U.S. Amateur, finished at 15-under 273 at Santo da Serra.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Armstrong inmate escapee charged with murdering family matriarch
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Mon Yough school districts, nonprofits getting by for now with no state budget
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria