LaBar: Shocking WrestleMania 30 one of the best
Justin LaBar Videos
One era comes to an end and another begins.
WrestleMania 30 saw the start of a new era with Daniel Bryan finally winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.
It was the end of an era where The Undertaker's undefeated streak at WrestleMania of 21 wins came to an end courtesy of Brock Lesnar. I've never been part of a more real and emotionally driven moment than when Lesnar got the win on Undertaker. Be sad those who were with me didn't snap a picture of my face.
The match was too long for what I wanted. It was a fear I had. I had been saying for weeks I only wanted to see a 12- to 15-minute match at most. The two styles isn't one I want to see for too long. Make it hard-hitting and maximize the impact. The match ended up going 25 minutes before the shocking conclusion.
I found myself bored with the match. I saw people around me distracted by their phones. It was a slow-moving match and, let's face it, Undertaker was going to win anyways. So we just waited for the final stretch.
How wrong we all were.
There is good and bad to The Undertaker's WrestleMania streak ending.
WWE missed out on a big-money match in The Undertaker's streak being challenged by John Cena, and also let someone end the phenomenal streak after a poor buildup.
Many aren't happy that Lesnar beat the streak and is a guy who is a “part-timer.” I'll note his contracts typically end around WrestleMania time, so it's possible he could have signed a new deal that includes a more appearances.
The streak being done sets up for a bigger match next year.
I can easily see tonight on RAW being centered around The Undertaker's farewell address to the WWE Universe. This cues the long-awaited and highly anticipated WWE debut of wrestling legend Sting.
He tells The Undertaker he's got one more match left in him and it's going to take place at WrestleMania 31. This match now won't have the stakes of whether the streak is going to end, but will have the epic draw of being The Undertaker's last match.
I never thought the streak should end. Did anybody really want to see that happen? However, it cements Lesnar's already decorated career and makes him a top heel to challenge at a big pay-per-view, perhaps SummerSlam, against Daniel Bryan.
Some notes and summed up analysis from the whole card:
• This was the best WrestleMania in the last 10 years and is going to be in debates to hold a spot in the top three of all time.
• I'm sure glad I got to fulfill a lifelong wish to be inside the “Silverdome” for a WrestleMania ... brother.
•The opening segment with Hogan, Steve Austin and The Rock gave me goosebumps.
• Antonio Cesaro is here to stay and the battle royal was booked really well.
• It had been over 10 years since Stephanie McMahon appeared live in the ring at WrestleMania. Thanks for bringing your best leather skirt attire.
• If The Undertaker had won, then WWE would have booked Bray Wyatt to go over on Cena so there weren't too many babyfaces walking away as winners.
• Daniel Bryan finally wins the world title and it still isn't the top story from that event. WWE's the ultimate puppet master.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Penguins notebook: Road trip increases in difficulty
- Hax: Pregnant sister is off her rocker over alleged chair-breaking incident
- Mt. Lebanon deer-culling corrals sprayed with urine, repellent
- U.S. Ambassador to South Korea stable after facial surgery for knife wounds
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Federal jury says gas company shorted owners on royalties
- Ex-wife of late Argentine prosecutor: Death was a homicide
- Federal judge dismisses complaint against foreclosure propery management company
- Beistel overcomes nerves, 1st-round opponent at PIAA Class AA tournament
- Seneca Valley special-needs student left on bus