Riverhounds beat Dayton for 2nd USL Pro victory of season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Mike Green tripled his Riverhounds' goal total, and by doing so, he doubled the Riverhounds' win total in 2014.
Green scored twice in a seven-minute span to start the second half, and the Riverhounds rallied for a 2-1 USL Pro win at Dayton on Wednesday.
The Riverhounds trailed Dayton (4-11-2), 1-0, at half for the second straight game. But unlike Saturday's meeting, the Riverhounds (2-9-5) had an answer in Green, a player who last season played as a defender and whose only other goal as a pro came in 2012, his first year in Pittsburgh.
Green tied the game in the 47th minute by carrying a short pass in traffic from Danny Earls to the right corner of the 6-yard box and placing a shot into the bottom left corner of the net.
Earls and Green connected again for the second goal, when Green was found open in the box after a nice passing sequence that began on the feet of Joseph Ngwenya.
Aaron Schoenfeld put Dayton ahead in just the third minute with his ninth goal of the season, a headed score from a corner kick.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Legally blind Pirates fan hangs on every play, has kept score for decades
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Teachers’ roles evolve as districts rely more on computers
- Penguins forward Megna’s skill set might be perfect fit
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo hopes to give team physical edge
- State Dems take back seat to political committee in gubernatorial election
- Inside the glass: Penguins’ Martin, Ehrhoff look comfortable together
- Pitt professor’s UV technology destined for Mars in 2020
- Health department sets 1st of 13 public meetings
- Fans sporting black and gold show up for Steelers game in Charlotte