Riverhounds beat Dayton for 2nd USL Pro victory of season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Mike Green tripled his Riverhounds' goal total, and by doing so, he doubled the Riverhounds' win total in 2014.
Green scored twice in a seven-minute span to start the second half, and the Riverhounds rallied for a 2-1 USL Pro win at Dayton on Wednesday.
The Riverhounds trailed Dayton (4-11-2), 1-0, at half for the second straight game. But unlike Saturday's meeting, the Riverhounds (2-9-5) had an answer in Green, a player who last season played as a defender and whose only other goal as a pro came in 2012, his first year in Pittsburgh.
Green tied the game in the 47th minute by carrying a short pass in traffic from Danny Earls to the right corner of the 6-yard box and placing a shot into the bottom left corner of the net.
Earls and Green connected again for the second goal, when Green was found open in the box after a nice passing sequence that began on the feet of Joseph Ngwenya.
Aaron Schoenfeld put Dayton ahead in just the third minute with his ninth goal of the season, a headed score from a corner kick.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arrest made in June homicide in Hill District
- Steelers’ prime-time games shrink attendance at Heinz Field
- Ferrante told wife’s cousin that she died of ‘chemical storm’
- Ramps reopen from East Ohio and Heinz streets to northbound Route 28
- Court validates Highmark Medicare plan that excludes UPMC
- City Theatre hires James McNeel as new managing director
- State trooper struck by SUV in Westmoreland faces more surgery, long recovery
- Woman’s body found in Adams home
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- Menino, Boston’s longest-serving mayor, dies at 71
- Unaccompanied immigrants put heavy strain on schools, charities