Riverhounds beat Dayton for 2nd USL Pro victory of season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Mike Green tripled his Riverhounds' goal total, and by doing so, he doubled the Riverhounds' win total in 2014.
Green scored twice in a seven-minute span to start the second half, and the Riverhounds rallied for a 2-1 USL Pro win at Dayton on Wednesday.
The Riverhounds trailed Dayton (4-11-2), 1-0, at half for the second straight game. But unlike Saturday's meeting, the Riverhounds (2-9-5) had an answer in Green, a player who last season played as a defender and whose only other goal as a pro came in 2012, his first year in Pittsburgh.
Green tied the game in the 47th minute by carrying a short pass in traffic from Danny Earls to the right corner of the 6-yard box and placing a shot into the bottom left corner of the net.
Earls and Green connected again for the second goal, when Green was found open in the box after a nice passing sequence that began on the feet of Joseph Ngwenya.
Aaron Schoenfeld put Dayton ahead in just the third minute with his ninth goal of the season, a headed score from a corner kick.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Opportunity awaits Boykin
- Pirates showing interest in starting pitcher Masterson
- NFL notebook: Jeannette’s Pryor reportedly will sign with Browns
- Coal industry’s decline chokes Central Appalachian towns
- Despite cross-check, Pens’ Crosby expects contact in front of net
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- CPR helps revive Heinz Field worker with cardiac arrest
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger remains in concussion protocol
- 2016 county budget contains no tax hike
- Seneca Valley boys soccer celebrates historic run
- Win over NA fuels Seneca Valley hockey team