Riverhounds' playoff hopes take a hit after 4-0 loss to Charleston
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Playing for the second time in 24 hours, the Riverhounds' late-season surge came to a sudden halt with a 4-0 loss to the Charleston Battery, which became the fifth team to clinch a USL Pro playoff berth.
Dane Kelly scored a hat trick for the Battery (10-9-8), and Zach Prince added the final goal. Yet for all the scoring, the play of the match came from Battery goalkeeper Odisnel Cooper.
Trailing 1-0, the Riverhounds (9-13-5) were awarded a penalty kick in the final minute of the first half when Quinton Griffith pulled down Miro Cabrilo inside the box.
Jose Angulo took the kick, which was saved by Cooper before Angulo put the rebound into the net. The goal was waved off as Cooper was called for encroaching on the initial kick, which resulted in a caution to Cooper but forced a re-kick by the Riverhounds.
Cooper came up with the save for a second time on Angulo's penalty kick, and the Battery cleared the ball out of play to keep the score at 1-0.
The missed opportunity to tie the game before halftime was costly. Kelly completed his hat trick with two goals in the first nine minutes of the second half, and in the process, nearly ended the Riverhounds' playoff hopes.
The Riverhounds trail seventh-place Harrisburg and eighth-place Wilmington by two points in the standings. To reach the postseason, the Riverhounds must win their final game at home against Arizona at 7 p.m. Saturday and hope either Harrisburg or Wilmington fail to earn a point in their remaining games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Space tourism rocket explodes, killing one person aboard
- Butler County man sentenced to 9 years for child pornography
- Attorney General Kane injured in auto accident
- Foundations’ deal to buy August Wilson Center could be in jeopardy
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- 2 adults charged in ATV crash that killed 4-year-old Somerset girl
- Pa. trooper ambush suspect Frein in court after long manhunt
- Fingerprint expert says defendant’s prints were on cyanide bottle
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Charges withdrawn against Fayette parents accused of keeping dead dog
- Economy woman sentenced to 15 months for Medicare fraud