Steelers' Butler content in wings
Linebackers coach Keith Butler has long been rumored to be the replacement-in-waiting when defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau retires.
Twice over the past three years, Butler has turned down coordinator jobs in Miami and Indianapolis.
Butler said he wasn't given — or asked for — assurance that he will replace LeBeau, 74, when he calls it quits.
“Dick LeBeau, as far as I am concerned, can coach as long as he wants,” Butler said. “I am not going to be the guy who pushes him out. The Rooneys took care of me monetarily and made it worth my while to stay here.”
Though Butler worked with new Colts coach Chuck Pagano, he felt going to Indianapolis was a risk.
“I know Andrew Luck is a good player coming in, but you cannot keep a job as a coach in this league unless you have a good quarterback and a good defense,” Butler said.
• Linebacker Jason Worilds has yet to take part in organized team activities because of offseason wrist surgery. Worilds was diagnosed with scapholunate diastasis, a ligament tear between bones in the wrist. “It is a nuisance-type injury you have to live with the rest of the year and try to get it taken care of in the offseason, and that's what he did,” Butler said. Worilds is expected to be ready for training camp in late July.
• James Harrison has sat out the past two weeks of OTAs because of fluid build-up in his knee. He is expected to participate during next week's minicamp.
• Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said he is optimistic the team will sign Mike Wallace to a long-term contract. Appearing on the “Movin' the Chains” show on SiriusXM Radio, Colbert said the organization is in negotiations with Wallace and his agent, Bus Cook. “Mike is someone who has stated he wants to be here, and we certainly want him,” Colbert said. Wallace has until June 15 to sign his $2.74 million tender before the Steelers could reduce their offer to $577,000.
• Ben Roethlisberger wore tackle Max Starks' No. 78 during the final OTA session Thursday at Heinz Field. Starks is a free agent who is coming off ACL surgery and has yet to sign with any team. “He's my draft-class guy, blocker mate, just in honor of him,” Roethlisberger said.
• The Steelers will have mandatory minicamp Tuesday through Thursday.
— Mark Kaboly
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Nothing normal about Steelers’ standard as backups fill vital roles
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell shrugs off Ravens WR’s comments
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Steelers film study: Team finds success blitzing members of secondary
- Steelers not afraid to bring heat with secondary
- Rossi: Put this Steelers loss squarely on the kicker
- Loss leaves bitter taste for Steelers’ Vick
- Missed field goals haunt Steelers in OT loss to Ravens
- Steelers-Ravens grades: Scobee rhymes with ‘D’