Steelers' Butler content in wings
Linebackers coach Keith Butler has long been rumored to be the replacement-in-waiting when defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau retires.
Twice over the past three years, Butler has turned down coordinator jobs in Miami and Indianapolis.
Butler said he wasn't given — or asked for — assurance that he will replace LeBeau, 74, when he calls it quits.
“Dick LeBeau, as far as I am concerned, can coach as long as he wants,” Butler said. “I am not going to be the guy who pushes him out. The Rooneys took care of me monetarily and made it worth my while to stay here.”
Though Butler worked with new Colts coach Chuck Pagano, he felt going to Indianapolis was a risk.
“I know Andrew Luck is a good player coming in, but you cannot keep a job as a coach in this league unless you have a good quarterback and a good defense,” Butler said.
• Linebacker Jason Worilds has yet to take part in organized team activities because of offseason wrist surgery. Worilds was diagnosed with scapholunate diastasis, a ligament tear between bones in the wrist. “It is a nuisance-type injury you have to live with the rest of the year and try to get it taken care of in the offseason, and that's what he did,” Butler said. Worilds is expected to be ready for training camp in late July.
• James Harrison has sat out the past two weeks of OTAs because of fluid build-up in his knee. He is expected to participate during next week's minicamp.
• Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said he is optimistic the team will sign Mike Wallace to a long-term contract. Appearing on the “Movin' the Chains” show on SiriusXM Radio, Colbert said the organization is in negotiations with Wallace and his agent, Bus Cook. “Mike is someone who has stated he wants to be here, and we certainly want him,” Colbert said. Wallace has until June 15 to sign his $2.74 million tender before the Steelers could reduce their offer to $577,000.
• Ben Roethlisberger wore tackle Max Starks' No. 78 during the final OTA session Thursday at Heinz Field. Starks is a free agent who is coming off ACL surgery and has yet to sign with any team. “He's my draft-class guy, blocker mate, just in honor of him,” Roethlisberger said.
• The Steelers will have mandatory minicamp Tuesday through Thursday.
— Mark Kaboly