Ward wins Rooney Award
By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Published: Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011,
Steelers receiver Hines Ward was named the recipient of the 2011 Art Rooney Award.
The award will be presented April 7 at the 38th annual Art Rooney Award Dinner and Auction at the Westin Convention Center Hotel. The event benefits the Catholic Youth Association.
The Rooney Award honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Pittsburgh area in fields such as business, sports, politics, philanthropy, education and science.
Former Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski and current second baseman Neil Walker will be presented with the Bob Prince Award, given to the Pittsburgh sports person who best exemplifies perseverance, accomplishment and love of sport.
Joyce Rothermel, CEO of the Pittsburgh Food Bank, will receive the John McGrady Award, given to the individual who has rendered outstanding community service. Rod Doss, publisher of the Pittsburgh Courier, will receive the Bill Burns Award, which honors a Pittsburgh media professional for journalistic excellence and community service.
For more information, visit artrooneyaward.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Host of Steelers veterans look toward career survival mode
- Steelers film session: Polamalu not at fault on long run
- Expert: KO doesn’t mean ‘worst’ concussion for Pens’ Orpik
- Steelers notebook: Offense fails to make splash; defense lags
- Steelers WR Brown says ‘I thought I had it clean’ after wild, near-miss finish
- Defensive lapses against Dolphins outweigh positives for Steelers
- Robinson: Video review reveals Steelers coach’s sideline movements in Baltimore were out of character
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu teaches Tannehill lesson
- Browns’ Campbell dismisses Roethlisberger trade rumors
- Steelers coach Tomlin fined $100K by NFL
- Steelers notebook: Cotchery says Tomlin turmoil not a distraction