Ward wins Rooney Award
Steelers receiver Hines Ward was named the recipient of the 2011 Art Rooney Award.
The award will be presented April 7 at the 38th annual Art Rooney Award Dinner and Auction at the Westin Convention Center Hotel. The event benefits the Catholic Youth Association.
The Rooney Award honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Pittsburgh area in fields such as business, sports, politics, philanthropy, education and science.
Former Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski and current second baseman Neil Walker will be presented with the Bob Prince Award, given to the Pittsburgh sports person who best exemplifies perseverance, accomplishment and love of sport.
Joyce Rothermel, CEO of the Pittsburgh Food Bank, will receive the John McGrady Award, given to the individual who has rendered outstanding community service. Rod Doss, publisher of the Pittsburgh Courier, will receive the Bill Burns Award, which honors a Pittsburgh media professional for journalistic excellence and community service.
For more information, visit artrooneyaward.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Report: Steelers worth $1.118 billion
- GM Colbert expects Roethlisberger to end career with Steelers
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Inside the ropes: Speedy rookie Archer dazzles at 1st training camp practice