Ward wins Rooney Award
Steelers receiver Hines Ward was named the recipient of the 2011 Art Rooney Award.
The award will be presented April 7 at the 38th annual Art Rooney Award Dinner and Auction at the Westin Convention Center Hotel. The event benefits the Catholic Youth Association.
The Rooney Award honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Pittsburgh area in fields such as business, sports, politics, philanthropy, education and science.
Former Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski and current second baseman Neil Walker will be presented with the Bob Prince Award, given to the Pittsburgh sports person who best exemplifies perseverance, accomplishment and love of sport.
Joyce Rothermel, CEO of the Pittsburgh Food Bank, will receive the John McGrady Award, given to the individual who has rendered outstanding community service. Rod Doss, publisher of the Pittsburgh Courier, will receive the Bill Burns Award, which honors a Pittsburgh media professional for journalistic excellence and community service.
For more information, visit artrooneyaward.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Tomlin: Penalties only one factor in Steelers’ loss
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Jaguars’ Bortles is mirror image of Steelers’ Roethlisberger
- Starkey: Slapstick Steelers deserved to lose
- NFL record little solace for Steelers WR Brown
- Infractions, lack of discipline cost Steelers in loss to Buccaneers
- Steelers secondary aims to improve execution in order to prevent future mistakes
- Steelers notebook: Archer shooting for return vs. Buccaneers
- Steelers’ LeBeau faces another challenge
- Steelers DE Heyward making strides