Ward wins Rooney Award
Steelers receiver Hines Ward was named the recipient of the 2011 Art Rooney Award.
The award will be presented April 7 at the 38th annual Art Rooney Award Dinner and Auction at the Westin Convention Center Hotel. The event benefits the Catholic Youth Association.
The Rooney Award honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Pittsburgh area in fields such as business, sports, politics, philanthropy, education and science.
Former Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski and current second baseman Neil Walker will be presented with the Bob Prince Award, given to the Pittsburgh sports person who best exemplifies perseverance, accomplishment and love of sport.
Joyce Rothermel, CEO of the Pittsburgh Food Bank, will receive the John McGrady Award, given to the individual who has rendered outstanding community service. Rod Doss, publisher of the Pittsburgh Courier, will receive the Bill Burns Award, which honors a Pittsburgh media professional for journalistic excellence and community service.
For more information, visit artrooneyaward.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- Rossi: As Blount walked, Porter called
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Steelers rally past Titans for key win
- Steelers’ prime-time games shrink attendance at Heinz Field
- Steelers cut ties with running back Blount after incident in Tennessee
- Lack of experienced backup means more work for Steelers RB Bell
- Cut by Steelers, LeGarrette Blount joins Patriots