Ward wins Rooney Award
Steelers receiver Hines Ward was named the recipient of the 2011 Art Rooney Award.
The award will be presented April 7 at the 38th annual Art Rooney Award Dinner and Auction at the Westin Convention Center Hotel. The event benefits the Catholic Youth Association.
The Rooney Award honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Pittsburgh area in fields such as business, sports, politics, philanthropy, education and science.
Former Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski and current second baseman Neil Walker will be presented with the Bob Prince Award, given to the Pittsburgh sports person who best exemplifies perseverance, accomplishment and love of sport.
Joyce Rothermel, CEO of the Pittsburgh Food Bank, will receive the John McGrady Award, given to the individual who has rendered outstanding community service. Rod Doss, publisher of the Pittsburgh Courier, will receive the Bill Burns Award, which honors a Pittsburgh media professional for journalistic excellence and community service.
For more information, visit artrooneyaward.com .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Steelers notebook: Officials discuss new game ball procedures
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Steelers stress improved conditioning in attempt to play past injuries
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- Memories of Steelers fan from Beaver Falls go beyond simple recall
- Steelers notebook: Rookie CB Golson still dealing with left shoulder pain