Showers don’t deter fans at Latrobe
By Ralph Paulk
Published: Saturday, August 18, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, August 18, 2012
• Coach Mike Tomlin talked of how the rain had cost the Steelers only one period of practice. Predictably, it poured for much of the Steelers' final practice at St. Vincent College on Friday. Still, the heavy showers couldn't keep fans from showing up on the final day of camp.
• Tomlin had expected punter Jeremy Kapinos to get in a few kicks during practice. Instead, he sat out again as Drew Butler worked mostly on his coffin kicks. Kapinos is still recovering from offseason back surgery.
• Running backs Chris Rainey and Baron Batch had plenty of reps both in the run and pass game. While Batch ran mostly between the tackles, Rainey worked on timing a pitch play and the quick screen. The sometimes slippery field didn't affect Rainey's style.
• With tight end David Johnson lost for the season, Wes Saunders appeared the most comfortable among the tight ends trying to transition to fullback. He was the lead blocker on several plays, while newly acquired Justin Peelle worked on timing routes. Saunders won't be available for the first four games of the regular season, so recently signed fullback Jason Ford got his chance to audition for a spot in Sunday's preseason game against the Colts.
• Offensive tackle Mike Adams returned to practice and worked mostly with the second unit. He showed few signs of the right MCL sprain.
— Ralph N. Paulk
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Steelers ink fourth-round pick Thomas to 4-year deal
- Receiver Wheaton could make biggest splash among Steelers’ rookies
- Robinson: The good, bad of speaking out in NFL
- Robinson: Steelers’ draft grades well ... for now
- Starks prepared to part ways with Steelers
- Steelers’ Clark: Polamalu third-best safety in NFL
- Steelers’ Allen prepares for strong challenge
- Undrafted lineman Embernate hopes he can stick with Steelers
- Steelers Hall of Famer Jack Butler dies at 85
- Steelers’ rookie defensive back Thomas doesn’t lack motivation
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.