NFL notebook: Officials approve new contract
NFL referees are ready to go unnoticed again, just as they prefer.
The refs approved a new eight-year contract with the league by a 112-5 vote Saturday, officially ending a lockout that led to three weeks of increasingly chaotic games run by replacement officials who drew the attention of everyone from the average fan to President Barack Obama.
Broncos' safety on IR
Second-year safety Quinton Carter needs another surgery on his left knee and is done for the season. The Denver Broncos placed him on injured reserve Saturday.
Bears' Forte questionable
Pro Bowl running back Matt Forte is questionable for the Chicago Bears' game Monday night at Dallas because of a sprained right ankle.
Forte practiced on a limited basis this week after sitting out a win over St. Louis. He was injured in a loss on Sept. 13 at Green Bay and left that game.
Giants' Nicks out Sunday
The New York Giants will be without wide receiver Hakeem Nicks for Sunday night's game against the Philadelphia Eagles.
The team announced Saturday that Nicks will miss the contest because of a knee problem and will not make the trip to Philadelphia. He missed a Sept. 19 win over Carolina with a sore foot.
2 Raiders will miss game
Receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and tight end Richard Gordon will miss Sunday's game for the Oakland Raiders with injuries.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Play of the week: Texans find success with zone stretch running attack
- Steelers notebook: Shazier limited in practice
- Robinson: Big Ben on pace to break Favre’s record — for sacks
- Texans coach O’Brien still cherishes time at Penn State
- Steelers rookie Tuitt prepares for big role
- Rossi: Steelers’ ‘march of mediocrity’ baffling
- Steelers’ Haley unfazed by criticism
- Steelers notebook: WR Bryant making strides