NFL notebook: Officials approve new contract
NFL referees are ready to go unnoticed again, just as they prefer.
The refs approved a new eight-year contract with the league by a 112-5 vote Saturday, officially ending a lockout that led to three weeks of increasingly chaotic games run by replacement officials who drew the attention of everyone from the average fan to President Barack Obama.
Broncos' safety on IR
Second-year safety Quinton Carter needs another surgery on his left knee and is done for the season. The Denver Broncos placed him on injured reserve Saturday.
Bears' Forte questionable
Pro Bowl running back Matt Forte is questionable for the Chicago Bears' game Monday night at Dallas because of a sprained right ankle.
Forte practiced on a limited basis this week after sitting out a win over St. Louis. He was injured in a loss on Sept. 13 at Green Bay and left that game.
Giants' Nicks out Sunday
The New York Giants will be without wide receiver Hakeem Nicks for Sunday night's game against the Philadelphia Eagles.
The team announced Saturday that Nicks will miss the contest because of a knee problem and will not make the trip to Philadelphia. He missed a Sept. 19 win over Carolina with a sore foot.
2 Raiders will miss game
Receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and tight end Richard Gordon will miss Sunday's game for the Oakland Raiders with injuries.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Steelers’ Heyward looking to stay for long haul
- Former Steelers kicker Reed doesn’t like new NFL PAT rule
- Steelers claim QB-turned-WR Gardner
- Steelers guard Foster likes offense’s direction heading into season
- Former Steelers linebacker Robinson dies
- Steelers’ Lemon hopes to put squeeze on opposing QBs
- NFL moves PAT back to 15-yard line
- Steelers gamble Chickillo can make transition to outside linebacker
- Steelers sign 3rd-round choice Coates
- Starkey: Clayton, Steelers and ‘Shouldergate’