Big plays going against Steelers this season
Big plays aren't going the Steelers' way.
In only three games, they have allowed a 64-yard touchdown run (Darren McFadden) and a 71-yard touchdown pass (Demaryius Thomas), plus a 51-yard kickoff return (Mike Goodson). Their longest play is a Ben Roethlisberger-to-Mike Wallace 37-yard TD pass.
The Philadelphia Eagles have a pair of runners capable of taking off on long runs — LeSean McCoy and quarterback Michael Vick — plus Mr. Big Play himself, DeSean Jackson. Jackson is a touchdown machine, with 22 career touchdowns of 30 yards or longer and eight touchdowns of 50 yards-plus in 2009 alone. He also holds the team record for most yards receiving in his first four seasons (3,864).
With 20 catches this season, Jackson is on pace to top his 2011 total of 58 receptions. He has a reception of 32 yards or longer in three of four games this season. As Steelers defensive end Cam Heyward said, “He's ridiculous.”
NOT OUT OF THEIR LEAGUE
Vick and Roethlisberger are at their best when going against the opposing conference. Vick is 1-0-1 against the Steelers and 14-3 in his past 17 starts against the AFC, with a 7-1 record in his previous eight.
Roethlisberger is 13-1 versus the NFC in Pittsburgh, with 18 touchdown passes and eight interceptions — one reason why the Steelers are 26-6 in their past 32 against the NFC.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Steelers won’t change scheme after Pouncey injury
- Dog-loving fans irate about Vick signing with Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell injures left ankle in practice
- Steelers ink QB Vick, new teammates OK with signing
- Steelers rookie receiver Coates learning on the fly
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- Despite injuries, Steelers not lobbying for shorter preseason
- Veteran quarterback Vick is vowing to make Steelers proud
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin leaving `light on’ for injured players
- Heinz Field shows off its new closed-end look in south end zone