Matchup problems found on defensive side of ball, too
It's not just offensive players who create matchup problems. Titans wide receiver Nate Washington said safety Troy Polamalu is difficult to prepare for because “he's one of the few players in the league who are going to make a play outside of the defense that is called.”
That won't be a worry to the Titans with Polamalu (calf) shelved again, so the Steelers are hoping Will Allen can do his best Polamalu impression. Allen hasn't started in three seasons with Pittsburgh — he mostly plays special teams — and he has made only two starts since 2006. He is expected to split time Thursday with Ryan Mundy.
“Obviously, I'm going to play more on defense,” the 30-year-old Allen said. “I'm ready. I've started in this league. I started in Tampa (in 2005-06). I know I'm capable, and I'm ready.”
Polamalu was seen Tuesday with a protective boot on his right leg.
GOING WAY BACK
There was no better rivalry in the late 1970s than the Houston Oilers and Steelers, who met in the AFC Championship Game during the 1978 and 1979 seasons. Given that it's been 15 years since the Oilers moved to Tennessee, some fans may have forgotten the franchise's roots. The Oilers/Titans and Steelers have met in all but three seasons since 1970 (2004, '06 and '07). The Steelers lead the series, 44-30, with three straight wins.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers notebook: Young players provide big challenge for special teams coach
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big