NFL Notebook: Bucs CB Talib suspended 4 games
TAMPA, Fla. — Tampa Bay's defense was jolted Saturday when the NFL suspended cornerback Aqib Talib four games without pay for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
The fifth-year pro said in a statement released by the team that he took an Adderall pill without a prescription “around the beginning of training camp.” He will not appeal the ban, which begins Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.
Talib, 26, was the 20th overall pick in the 2008 draft and is one of the team's top defenders with 18 career interceptions. He also will be eligible to return to the active roster on Nov. 5.
“I made a mistake by taking an Adderall pill without a prescription. This is especially regrettable because, for the past several months, with Coach (Greg) Schiano's help, I've worked very hard to improve myself — professionally and personally — as a player and a man,” Talib said.
Buffalo signs two players
The Buffalo Bills signed defensive tackle Jay Ross and offensive lineman David Snow from their practice squad.
Odds and ends
The NFL fined Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald $7,875 for facemasking St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins last week. ... Fourteen players are listed as questionable for Sunday's game at Seattle, including WR Wes Welker (ankle) and tight ends Rob Gronkowski (hip) and Aaron Hernandez (ankle). Hernandez did not practice Friday. ...RB Donald Brown didn't travel with the Colts to play the Jets.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers opt for youth, speed while revamping roster
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Steelers have plenty of new faces at wide receiver
- Veteran Keisel settles into role with Steelers
- In last preseason game, a final audition for some Steelers
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires