NFL notebook: Suh likely won't be fined for Cutler hit
• Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh appears to be in the clear for his big hit on quarterback Jay Cutler in Monday's 13-7 Bears win. A league spokesman said the play was legal, and Cutler said on his weekly radio show on Chicago's WMVP-AM (1000) that the play was “clean” and Suh is “a good player.”
• With Maurice Jones-Drew out, the Jacksonville Jaguars signed running back Keith Toston. Rashad Jennings will start Sunday's game at Green Bay in place of Jones-Drew (foot), who could miss several games.
• Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee could require season-ending toe surgery and will miss at least two games, according to multiple reports. Lee, a former star at Upper St. Clair and Penn State, is the Cowboys' leading tackler.
• The NFL Players Association sent a letter to former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, asking him to clarify why he is an objective, impartial arbitrator in ruling on the appeals of three of the four implicated players in the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, according to a person informed of the details of the letter.
• Detroit Lions wide receiver Nate Burleson needs season-ending surgery on the broken right leg he suffered in Monday night's 13-7 loss to the Chicago Bears.
• A Buffalo development group unveiled a proposal to build a $1.4 billion waterfront sports and entertainment complex that would include a new stadium for the Bills.
• The Washington Redskins released running back Ryan Grant and brought back running back Keiland Williams, who rushed for 261 yards as an undrafted rookie with the Redskins in 2010.
• Arminta Jones, the mother of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, died. She was 90.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell faces former team, hurts leg
- Preseason valuable for Steelers’ offensive line
- Former longtime Steelers publicist Kiely dies
- Steelers have plenty of new faces at wide receiver
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- Why Steelers will — or won’t — snap out of their funk
- In last preseason game, a final audition for some Steelers
- Steelers running back blunt about focusing on football
- For Steelers outside linebacker Jones, size is not an obstacle
- Steelers’ Polamalu downplays emotional outburst
- Steelers wrap lackluster preseason with loss to Panthers