NFL notebook: Eagles decide to stick with Vick as starting QB
Michael Vick will remain the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles.
Coach Andy Reid announced the decision Wednesday. The Eagles are off, and Reid and Vick are not scheduled to address the media again until Thursday.
Vick, the four-time Pro Bowl quarterback, has struggled this season, and Philadelphia (3-4) has lost three straight games.
Reid didn't endorse Vick after Sunday's 30-17 loss to Atlanta, saying he's going to evaluate all his starters. Vick then said he would support whatever decision Reid makes.
• Peyton Manning's right thumbnail was covered with white tape and put under a media microscope upon his return to the football field Wednesday. The Broncos quarterback's throws and hand-offs at practice were unaffected by his thumb injury in his first action since smacking his throwing hand on a defender's helmet Sunday. Manning said his thumb was “sore, but it's more of an irritant than anything else.”
• Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill is practicing on a limited basis after leaving Sunday's victory over the New York Jets in the first quarter with left knee and thigh injuries. Tannehill wore a brace and thigh-to-ankle sleeve on his left leg for Wednesday's workout. He participated in passing drills, but backup Matt Moore took the snaps with the starters at the beginning of team drills, and former Penn State QB Pat Devlin worked with the second team.
• Bengals coach Marvin Lewis publicly challenged quarterback Andy Dalton and middle linebacker Rey Maualuga to become more forceful leaders on their 3-4 team. The move was out of character for Lewis, the Bengals' 10-year coach who prefers to handle things quietly and internally. It underscored the Bengals' predicament approaching the season's midpoint — it's time to start winning or else. “We've wallowed around here in mediocrity,” Lewis said. “Let's go. That's the thing we've got to do.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Steelers sign punter Wing to 1-year extension
- Steelers’ unrestricted free agent Moats proves worth at linebacker
- Steelers injured running back Bell won’t be in uniform for Pro Bowl
- Steelers mum on national report involving head of security
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff